In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

How do you ship primers?

chumchumchumchum Member Posts: 847 ✭✭
edited March 2013 in Ask the Experts
I just called UPS and they said I could not ship primers. You have to be on a special list and have haz mat training and no one time shipments????? Anybody have an answer???

THANKS

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    thanks for the link, But doesn't answer the question. Is their a way for an individual like me to ship them. It seems USP is a big fat no.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by chumchum
    thanks for the link, But doesn't answer the question. Is their a way for an individual like me to ship them. It seems USP is a big fat no.

You can't ship them through the PO. Have to use the either UPS or FedEx, and jump through their hoops, as outlined in the link Tflogger gave you.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    When I talked to the lady at USP. She said they do not take one time shipments from people for primes. So I'm not sure of the hoops you are refering to. I have the Haz-mat training.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I shipped ammo with them before no big deal, just label the box as the link stated. But primers seem to be like night and day from ammo. Is the lady giving me the correct info??????
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Ammo is NOT haz Mat Primers ARE
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by chumchum
    When I talked to the lady at USP. She said they do not take one time shipments from people for primes. So I'm not sure of the hoops you are refering to. I have the Haz-mat training.

I don't know where you're located? Years ago when I use to live in the big city, I shipped with FedEx. Each shipping point had different clerks that interpreted the regs differently. I just went around till I found one that who was laid back about shipping handguns. She didn't give me any BS. All I did was show her a copy of the FFL 01's licence, and that was it.

I would do the same in your position if possible. Try to locate a office or supervisor, that was more receptive to shipping primers.

EDIT #1, You have to have one of their people that is specifically Haz Mat certified handle the primers. That's what bugged me. You go into their terminals, and one of their clerks doesn't look any different then another. When I was going to ship some ammo.

It's not like they wore a special uniforms or had different I.D. badges. Then they will tell you that they will have one of their brown truck drivers, pick it up. Don't even bring it to the terminal. Shipping guns was different then shipping ammo, in that respect.
  • Options
    the middlethe middle Member Posts: 3,089
    edited November -1
    It is VERY hard for a average Joe to ship primers (I know, Ive been checking....I have a few thousand of hard to find type primers that Id just love to triple my money on right now!), not impossible, but not worth the hassle and expense. If you had a skid full or more, it would be worth it, but a once or twice off transaction...no way.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Perry shooter, They make you label ammo ORM-D and small arms ammunition just like stated in the link. That is what I was wondering about the clerk. If it was just their interpertion. However she was with the HAZMAT department. She did mention about someone picking it up. I was going to take it right to the terminal to ship. I wonder if that makes a difference???
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Small arms ammo is not Considered HAZ MAT PRIMERS and Blacl powder are consider HAZ MAT end of story ORM-D is different from HAZ MAT YOU CAN SHIP AMMO you can't ship HAZMAT UNLESS YOU ARE CERTIFIED. as the say in NEW JERSEY FORGETABOUTIT
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I ship them in my car, and hand deliver them to the buyer.
    I also only deal with locals