In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

What is out there for a 7.62/.308, semi-auto rifle

theboogeymantheboogeyman Member Posts: 783 ✭✭✭✭
edited March 2013 in Ask the Experts
...that accepts standardized, 20 rd. 7.62x51mm PMAGS....

.....that's not an AR-10? I've wanted a Springfield-Armory SOCOM-II for quite awhile, and recently handled a FNAR an was quite impressed, but my understanding it neither of these rifles accept standard magazines (correct me if I'm wrong). Seems like everyone has an AR, and I'd like something a little different. Suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most of the 308 AR types except Armalite accept the 308 PMags.
    Now even Armalite is making a rifle that will.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I was hoping for something besides an AR though lol
  • Options
    llamallama Member Posts: 2,637 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    FNAR takes proprietary mags, which were expensive ($50-60) before the madness started this time around.

The various AR10 platforms of course, although the Rock River LAR-8 takes metric FAL mags (plentiful, inexpensive before madness).

Personally I'd just get a FAL and buy new mags, or if you have a stash of mags suck it up and get an AR platform to use them.
  • Options
    BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Take a look at the POF rifles. They are an AR based rifle but they use a gas piston system. Very nice rifles.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by BHAVIN
    Take a look at the POF rifles. They are an AR based rifle but they use a gas piston system. Very nice rifles.

More specifically, take a look at the GA Precision GAP-10. They are built on the POF upper, and lower recievers, using a Bartlein barrel, and they eliminated the gas piston, in favor of a direct impingement system. They are gauranteed for 3/4 MOA, and from experience, will hold at least 1/2 MOA or better, if the shooter knows how to handle a semi-auto PRECISION rifle.

OP, there are 4 types of standard 7.62x51/308 magazines. The M-14/M1A type, the FAL metric type, the CETME/HK 91 type, and the Armalite/Stoner type for the AR-10. The most common, are the FAL, and CETME/HK type. If you want to be able to use any of these, I guess you need to buy something that uses them.

Best
  • Options
    Emmett DunhamEmmett Dunham Member Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like the HK-91 rifle.
  • Options
    M1A762M1A762 Member Posts: 3,426
    edited November -1
    Take a look at what our military uses in a .308 semi auto. The good old M14. [8D]

Very reliable, accurate and mags are no problem (before panic).

The M14 has helped many anxious muslims depart on their journey to the virgins. [:)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by M1A762
    Take a look at what our military uses in a .308 semi auto. The good old M14. [8D]

Very reliable, accurate and mags are no problem (before panic).

The M14 has helped many anxious muslims depart on their journey to the virgins. [:)]

I like the M-14. My understanding was that the Springfield-Armory M1A/SOCOM XX platform was the semi-auto version of it, but from what I've read, it seems like it takes proprietary mags, where I'd like something that takes easy to find mags like the PMAG.
  • Options
    CCH360CCH360 Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I picked up the DPMS .308 and have been dealing with the same issue. I love it - but should have done more research like you are doing on the magazines. It took me a great deal of searching to find some 19 round mags. The gun itself is ridiculous.
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,455 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    quote:I like the M-14. My understanding was that the Springfield-Armory M1A/SOCOM XX platform was the semi-auto version of it, but from what I've read, it seems like it takes proprietary mags, where I'd like something that takes easy to find mags like the PMAG.
    Well I guess they could be called "proprietary" mags, but they are the very same magazine every M14 has used since 1957?. Military surplus mags all over the place. Lots of aftermarket also, but I will only purchase gov't contract/surplus.
  • Options
    M1A762M1A762 Member Posts: 3,426
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Horse Plains Drifter
    quote:I like the M-14. My understanding was that the Springfield-Armory M1A/SOCOM XX platform was the semi-auto version of it, but from what I've read, it seems like it takes proprietary mags, where I'd like something that takes easy to find mags like the PMAG.
    Well I guess they could be called "proprietary" mags, but they are the very same magazine every M14 has used since 1957?. Military surplus mags all over the place. Lots of aftermarket also, but I will only purchase gov't contract/surplus.

USGI and Checkmate (CMI) mags are my choice. I have read that the ProMag M14 magazine is getting good reviews also. [:)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I must've gotten some bad information then...sounds like SA SOCOM-II + PMAGS is the way to go :)