In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Are there good and bad years for the BAR?

GunHawkeGunHawke Member Posts: 576 ✭✭✭
edited March 2013 in Ask the Experts
Hello everyone! I haven't written in awhile...and I have a question in an area where my expertise ranks right up there with brain surgery!?!? My son is back from Afganistan (nothing to do with the question, just that I'm durn proud of the boy/man) and he wants to get a BAR Safari base model in 30-06. The serial number is 107NTxxxxx. My question is; do BARs have really bad years for manufacturing? He is considering getting a new one but id a penny pincher like his old man and, if this was a closet queen, may just rather save a few $$$$.

Any help and your opinions are appreciated ahead of time!

One last off the wall question...who is best to ask about where/how/who to refinish a titanium firearm!?

Have a great Easter and the new Spring that just sprung!
Jim
GunHawk

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I redid a Belgium BAR in 30-06. Left side was scared up bad from road rash. The PO left it on the roof of car.

With buffing and a bead blast finish the rifle looked good. It was one of the sweetest autoloaders I ever shot. Not a tack driver, but a good meat gun as far as most people would shoot. A little heavy to pack around IMHO.
  • Options
    spas12spas12 Member Posts: 571 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The bar is a great gun. I don't believe they were affected by the salt wood problem. I do recall hearing some rumors that the reason that browning developed the boss was because at one point bars were having a problem with barrel harmonics, but thats just a rumor and at any rate the bar you mentioned would have been made after either of those problems had passed.
  • Options
    wolfpackwolfpack Member Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't know if there were any problem years or not. Have a 7mm mag in one that was made in 1988 and it shoots one inch groups at 100 yds from sandbags at the range. Never has failed to fire or function in anyway and this rifle has seen quite a bit of hunting from 10 degrees and 18 inches of snow to 75 degree sunny weather. Also have a couple of the Remington 7400 series and in my opinion the BAR is a far superior autoloader.
  • Options
    gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mine from 1979 shoots sub 1" groups at 100 yards.
    In my opinion, the best Semi Auto rifle out there.
    FYI can't use them in South Africa! No semi-autos.......