In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Marlin 336 30-30 questions

Lucky007Lucky007 Member Posts: 308 ✭✭✭
edited March 2013 in Ask the Experts
I have a 1978 vintage Marlin 336 in 30-30 that I intend to modify to a "Youth" version with a shorter barrel and stock. I have been looking for a laminate "Y" stock with no luck. Does anyone know if there is a company that may have these type of stock sets available?

Also, does anyone have a recommendation for a gunsmith to modify the barrel and magazine tube who is in the southwest Virginia area?

Comments

• Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sell yours
    Buy a trapper model
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lucky007,

No offense intended, and this does depend entirely on how well trained the youngster/new hunter has been trained, but as a general rule, a Hammer gun is usually not the best choice for a beginner. Yes, I know back in the day, we were given what ever anyone had for a spare, to get us started, and it worked out. However, I have seen accidental discharges with those hammer guns, on a few occaisions.

I agree on get a youth model or trapper model, and keep that one, just the way it is.

Best

EDIT 1

Glad you cleared that up. I NEVER said get rid of what you have, or get a Remington made POS, but said get something else, of which there are PLENTY on the auction side of PRE-REMINGTON models.

I am sure if you use GOOGLE, or the yellow pages, you can find a good gunsmith close enough to you.

Best
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Unfortunately you both mis-understood my original post; I never mentioned that this project was for a new or juvenile shooter...I already have 3 Marlin lever guns in different calibers and wanted a smaller compact version for my own use. I used the term "youth" in quotation marks within my original post as a way to describe the Model 336 variant I was trying to duplicate.

Also, why would I buy a new Marlin/Remington with all of their current design and quality control issues when I could get twice the gun at half the price via a good used model?
  • Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,469 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For the stock this is the best place I know of http://www.shop.macongunstocks.com/Marlin-Rifle-Stocks_c19.htm?page=all They will build to order
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the link....I already contacted Macon and they didn't have a set in stock....but I finally got through to Marlin customer service this morning and they did have a "Y" 336 stock/forearm brown laminate set available so I bought it over the phone...hopefully it will fit okay on my older gun....now I just need to locate the gunsmith!
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why not just cut the stock down 3" then add a 1" recoil pad. Any good gunsmith can cut the barrel and do the necessary to the sights and tube.

I just had the same thing done to a M94. I got a beat up M94 that someone had taken apart and could not put back together. I did all the work myself except crowning the barrel and reattaching the front sight. Came out good and shoots great. The finish was shot so I K-coated it.
    RLTW

• Options
    edited November -1
    Believe me I have tried to find a good gunsmith in my area for this kind of project...there are a couple I go to for fitting recoil pads etc...but there isn't anyone that I know of in the area who can re-crown the muzzle correctly or cut the new dovetail...or fill in the old dovetail for that matter. As far as the old stock is concerned I figured that I could sell the original to someone out there who would need a 1970's stock for a 336 in original condition and I liked the looks of the laminate brown Marlin short stock/forearm set.
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here ya go for the stock, Kind of spendy.

http://www.shop.macongunstocks.com/3679-Marlin-Lever-Action-Curved-Tang-Nutmeg-Set-Marlin-336-3679.htm

Here is list of gunsmiths in Va

http://www.usacarry.com/directory/category/gunsmiths/virginia-gunsmiths/

I would ask around at the local gun shops you may get a lead there.
    RLTW

• Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks very much for the links...appreciate your follow up info; Found the stock/forearm I was looking for today so I'll look into the gunsmith options you provided.
  • Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    cabelas dundee has about 5 of those youth short 336 on their used gun rack as of yesterday