In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

German luger 30 DWM su 25

beverlysgunshopbeverlysgunshop Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited March 2013 in Ask the Experts
Just Traded for DWM luger that has Su over 25 on right side of gun all numbers match , as far as serial numbers ect. I've looked at the ones on G/B just don't see any that have this particular mark on it.. Serial number is 1956. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It would be best if you could post quality photos of the Luger. Specially all the markings. This will help greatly for identification and valuation.

Instructions for posting photos at this link.

http://forums.GunBroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=259294

That said, most 30 caliber Lugers with a military type 4 digit serial number. Are what is known to collectors as "1920 Commercials". These are Lugers that were assembled in Post W W I Germany, using military parts and commercial 30 caliber barrels. Without quality photos it is hard to discern a original from a rework.

EDIT #1, The "Crown N" is a German commercial proof mark. If you measure the barrel length, it should be 3 15/16". This was one of the provisions of the Treaty of Versailles. That the Germans couldn't make/sell Lugers in 9mm, with barrels 4" or longer.

EDIT #2, I believe the SU 25 marking would be irrelevant, as far as a 1920 Commercial Luger in 30 caliber is concerned.

It was just one of the Lugers obtained in the 1920's. To be reworked for legal commercial sale. If it remained in 9mm with a dated chamber and conventional military proofs. There might be a argument to justify that it was some sort of police or Free Corp Luger. But in it's present configuration, I just see it being another 1920 Commercial.

EDIT #3, According to John Walter's "Luger Book". There are a whole series of these marks, ( SU 4, SU 25, SU 50, etc.) found not only on the Lugers but also on their tools and accessories. Nobody at this late date knows for certain their meaning? He speculates that they might represent the acceptance of previously rejected parts?

pix915336477.jpg

pix084379688.jpg
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    The 1956 is the serial but the military start at 01-9999 and then start over with a different letter under the 4 digit serial. the fancy scrip is DWM the maker BUT the top receiver ring should also
    have a year date . The N and crown is just a german proof mark NITRO smokeless powder.

I have anumber of luger REF. books by many people The SU25 does not show up in any.
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    I believe he's asking about the SU25, not the crown proof.
  • Options
    lew07lew07 Member Posts: 1,055 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    SU indicates Spandau Depot doesnt it?
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My guess is Suomi for Finland issue.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by v35
    My guess is Suomi for Finland issue.

The Finnish Lugers were marked "SA" in a rectangular box.

200652124549_Finnish%20Luger%20Left%20Side%20Markings.jpg