In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Tactical shotgun barrel / magazine clamp tightness

harkbrokeharkbroke Member Posts: 60 ✭✭
edited March 2013 in Ask the Experts
I'm installing a barrel/magazine clamp on my Rem 870 shotgun along with the +3 magazine extension that I installed.

I'm curious as to how tight I need to sinch down the clamp bolt that holds the two halves of the clamp together.

I notice the steel tube for the magazine appears to be quite thin and I'm concerned that the clamp may crush the magazine or the barrel if I get too aggresive with the bolt tightness.

I imagine it only needs to be snug enough to do the job, but I don't want the clamp working lose either.

Thanks,
Harkbroke

Comments

• Options
    iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Torquing or tightening a bolt or screw is dependent on the size of the fastener (diameter) and the number of threads.

That said, cleaning the threads (internal and external) and applying a small dab of Loctite Blue to the fastener and then 'snugging' it will prevent if from working loose.

If you can provide the fastener diameter and number of threads per inch (1/4", 1/2", etc will work too) the American Machinists Handbook will provide the SAE torque value.

Edit: 19-23 inch pounds (1.6-1.9 foot pounds) is the range for an 8-32 screw.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by iceracerx
    Torquing or tightening a bolt or screw is dependent on the size of the fastener (diameter) and the number of threads.

That said, cleaning the threads (internal and external) and applying a small dab of Loctite Blue to the fastener and then 'snugging' it will prevent if from working loose.

If you can provide the fastener diameter and number of threads per inch (1/4", 1/2", etc will work too) the American Machinists Handbook will provide the SAE torque value.

Thanks for your help.
    The screw measures 5/32" wide on the non-threaded portion of the screw shaft and has 16 threads per 1/2".
  • Options
    steve45steve45 Member Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If your installing the factory clamp that came with the +3 Remington factory extension that clamp is not strong enough to damage a barrel. Its stamped steel with a screw in the middle the lips of the steel clamp that goes around the barrel would just bend out if excessively tightened.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by steve45
    If your installing the factory clamp that came with the +3 Remington factory extension that clamp is not strong enough to damage a barrel. Its stamped steel with a screw in the middle the lips of the steel clamp that goes around the barrel would just bend out if excessively tightened.

It's actually a Tacstar extension with a Choate clamp.