In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ruger 10/22 Shortage?

Manoa-FishermanManoa-Fisherman Member Posts: 190 ✭✭✭
edited March 2013 in Ask the Experts
I was at my local Sports Authority today to see what might be available in ammo and guns. Absolutely bare of any 22LR, 9mm, 44 Mag and 45 ACP. Only 32 ACP available.

Asked about a Ruger 10/22 and was told that the last one sold was around Christmas. They had no idea of when the next one might show up. The sales staff was saying that it might be a couple of years from what the managers were saying. Is there a run on Ruger 10/22s?

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You might consider our auction. The standard models seem to be selling for between $300 & $400. This does not include shipping, dealer transfer or applicable taxes if any.
  • Options
    bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My local shop just sent me home with one last weekend.

They now have 3 on the rack. 2 @ $250 (black, wood). 1 @ $325(or so) laminated stock.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The situation of today, is that everything is becoming hard to find, and when you do find it, it is at a premium.

That said, the auction side is a great place to start. You might even look for a Ruger 10-22 Clone, called the AMT Lightening, or 25-22. It is actually better built than the ruger, as it is ALL stainless steel, even the reciever, and trigger group. In their day, they sold for around $20.00-25.00 less than the 10-22. No wonder Ruger got pissed, and filed a law suit.

Best
  • Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ruger should just sell the receivers since everyone wants to rebuild them piece by piece anyway, which I could never understand, they are great the way they are designed, plain & simple.

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Junkballer
    Ruger should just sell the receivers since everyone wants to rebuild them piece by piece anyway, which I could never understand, they are great the way they are designed, plain & simple.

If you don't need to have the word "Ruger" on the side, you can buy bare aftermarket 10-22 receivers if you like.

There are probably at least half a dozen companies that offer them in a variety of configurations, including different colors, stainless steel, top rail installed, and 80% (ie no FFL needed. . .you finish at home).

Prices on these run about $129-$300 depending on who's making it and how fancy.

In terms of mods, while the stock factory gun is certainly OK, at the very least I think there is a good bit of room for improvement in the factory trigger. You don't necessarily need a $300 drop in match trigger kit to get there, just something that improves smoothness, reduces pull a bit, and eliminates aftertravel.

Plastic/polyber rear pin/recoil buffer noticeably decreases the noise and metal-on-metal shock from recoil. IMO, that's well worth the $5 (or whatever) these cost.

Other mods? Factory stock is OK, but some of the custom ones are WAY better, with cheekrest, palm swell, better wood, etc. That's a worthwhile modification, especially if you want to shoot for real accuracy. Ditto for match barrel over factory one.
  • Options
    MFIMFI Member Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have had 4 special order ones (Pink Laminate , Camo/SS in since November that is it.. They are tough to find.. Wait it out ..
  • Options
    gunut 1gunut 1 Member Posts: 360 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    not really a run on 10/22s... but more profit to be made on other ruger products ...so the make less 10/22s....
  • Options
    Joes Custom GunsJoes Custom Guns Member Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    RUGER 10/22's are the best selling 22 rifle now in the USA.But the
    Factory lets a lot of room for improvements.The head space and firing needs adjusted.the firing pin needs to be cross pioned, The radius where the hammer contacts during cycling needs to be enlarged and polished.They come with a 6-7lb.trigger pull, so the hammer and sear needs to be up graded.
    Ruger is now using some HOGUE-O-M stocks on the 10/22s so that is a great improvement.
    In 2013 they started to put a Walnut stock with a Cattle Drive Engraving on them.
    In short with some Custom work the 10/22 can be a very nice 22 Rifle.
  • Options
    machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    Keep your eye on the auctions and the gun shows. There has been a tremendous number of 10/22's made, and higher prices will pull a lot of them out of the woodwork, which should serve to actually moderate the prices. I larked out at a gun show a couple of months ago when I came across a 1970-vintage one, when they still did all-metal and used walnut on everything, that was virtually unfired. It had a Weaver K3 on it in equal condition, and the guy parted with the rig for $170. He was one of the guys who drags estate sales. Had he been a GB'er, it probably would have shown up here, but there are a lot of others.

I agree that Ruger may be allocating a lot of machine time and manpower to the hottest-selling items right now, at the expense of making new 10/22's.