In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

bluing

briguybriguy Member Posts: 459 ✭✭✭
edited March 2013 in Ask the Experts
Alot of my rifles are 30 plus years old. They have been well taken care of but the ends of the barrels at the muzzles have bluing loss I am guessing either from lots of shooting or resting on the floor board of vehicles.

Is there anything I can use to touch up the bluing just at the end of the barrels? I want somthing that looks nice not fake and I want it to blend in with the rest of the rifle.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Anyone familiar with the bluing the factory does? What all is involved in getting set up to do that?

Thanks.

BTW: I wanted to post in the .44 Mag vs .45 Long Colt thread but it's locked. My advice: Get one of each. I use the same load in both-- 20.0 gr 2400 under a 250 gr cast SWC. Produces ~1250fps in the .44; ~1125fps in the .45LC.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a Astra Cub that needs rebluing. What would be the best kit to purchase? Thanks in advance
  • Options
    Ned FallNed Fall Member Posts: 662
    edited November -1
    Go to your local gun shop or sporting goods store and get some cold blueing. I comes in small bottles. Also get some (clean) cotton wadding or cotton balls at your local drug store. Now clean to area to be blued with fine grade steel brass wool polishing it as well as you can. After polishing, clean the area with alcohol and keep it clean I suggest you wear rubber gloves while blueing Apply the bluing solution as directed. After it takes affect, lightly oil the area. Bluing is not paint and the final appearance depends on how well the metal is polished and how clean it is kept.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Brownell's sells a cold bluing product, called "Oxpho-Blue". It does a excellent job. You might consider it.
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,017 ******
    edited November -1
    Brownell's Oxpho-Blue is just about the best for DIY on a touch-up.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bluing loss on crown is usually due to muzzle blast. As said, Oxpho Blue is good. Have also had some luck with Vann's and Blue Wonder. After degreasing the prepped area, warming the metal (hair dryer) can increase the rate of the chemical reaction.