In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

How Old a Weaver?

HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
edited March 2013 in Ask the Experts
I was just gifted with a Weaver V8 (The symbol they used looks just like the "Square Root" symbol) 2.5 - 8 power Scope, Brand-New in the Box. Made in El Paso, Texas. Weaver-Style (natch) Scope mounts/rings. Kinda curious manner of Adjustment: Looks like there are setscrew-type devices that actually cock the scope within a clearanced Ring - Spring on backside of Windage and Elevation Adjustments?

Scope is cosmetically perfect, with assembly grease still within the Scope rings, and Not a mark anywhere on it! Still has a Warning Notice about how to mount and adjust the scope, rubber-banded around the Blued-Steel Scope tube. Clearly, the Scope has never been Mounted. Box is complete, but somewhat the worse for wear of Years.

Only problem is it has been here in the NorthBest for over XX years? and has fogged up within the Optics. To my eye, it must be disassembled and have the lenses cleaned.

No visible Serial Number. None on the Box. Box is predominantly Yellow, with Black Graphics that Include a leaping Deer in Crosshairs. CrossHair Reticle sticker is applied to one end of the box, in Silver and Black.

Any Guesses how Old this scope really is?

Thanks for reading this far!

Comments

• Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    1965-1966 per Stroebel. I have a couple of them. Does yours have the triple reticule?
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The older steel tube Weavers, that I have owned in the past were serial numbered.

According to Stroebel's scope book, you have lucked out to one that was only made for one year. "1965/66". Along with the box and paper work it's probably quite desirable to a collector of Weaver scopes. Check the various on-line auctions to get a ballpark value. Although being made for only one year almost 50 years ago, might not be to many of them still around.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The (Very Fine) Crosshairs are single, and actually seem to my eye not to cross at exactly 90 Degrees!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks so much for the Info!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Some of those V8's had triple cross-hairs (3 horizontal and 3 vertical), the middle one was fine and the outside ones were quite heavy. The reason being that Weaver hadn't figured out how to prevent the reticule from magnifying as the power increased. So, when you dialed up to 8, you aimed with the center, fine cross-hair and when you dialed down to 2 1/2, you aimed with the whole thing! Sounds a bit rustic but works real well. 2 of the ones I have are triples. The V8's also came with a flat wrench (kind of like an elongated coin with a couple of teeth) to snug up that rear, smaller thumb screw. I've got a couple of those somewhere, too. Real handy for other things, like tightening up those windage screws in Redfield/Leupold/Burris bases.

And rufe-snow: I have quite a few of the old Weavers, mostly K's and V's and none of mine have serial #'s. Are you sure you don't have them mixed up with Bausch & Lomb?
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    Ambrose,
    I got in my Winchester safe and pulled a few of my pre 64s out with Weaver scopes, I couldn't find a serial number on any of them. They are all made in Texas. I have 2 model 70s with B&L Alaskan scopes, they serial numbers.
    W.D.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Capn: The "Alaskan" was made by Lyman (and later repro'ed by Leupold) and, you're right, they do have serial #'s. The B&L scopes were called Baltur, Balfor, Balvar, etc. and had serial #'s, also. The Bausch & Lomb scopes seemed to be real popular to mount on the old model 70's. "Winchester safe"!--that's cool!
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    Of the Weaver scopes that I have seen, none had a serial number. Appears to me that the best way to bracket the years of a scopes production are to determine when the model was made. Of the few I have laying about there is a K2.5 60; K3 60B; and a K2.5 60C. At one time I had noted the approximate years of mfg, but I no longer recall the dates- generally they were in the late 50s and 60s.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are you sure it's fogged on the inside. My k-6 widefield went back to the factory in the 70's due to crazing in the glue between the lens elements.
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    Ambrose,
    Your right, the ice in the glass must have gotten in the way.[;)]
    W.D.