In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Danish/Beretta M1 Garand

intercessorintercessor Member Posts: 437
edited March 2013 in Ask the Experts
It's been awhile since I've been on this forum, but I find myself in need of some information. This afternoon I traded for a Beretta made, Danish marked Garand. It's a mix-master, as most garands are, but I don''t have an references that can give me any history or manufacture date. Beretta marked on left side of receiver, Danish crown on the heel, with PB and a four diget serial number. SA trigger group, SA 43 barrel. Any thoughts out there on exactly what I have? Even if it's a put-together gun, I'm happy to have the Danish marked receiver. Thanks, Doc

Comments

• Options
    jhimcojhimco Member Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Danish- same year- no Beretta markings. Did not know Beretta made M1's?
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One of the components of the proof mark(s) on most Italian made firearms is a coded date. I don't know if this holds true for the Grands also?

Either provide a very specific description of all the Italian proof marks. Or post photos of them.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am not techno-savy enough to upload pics onto this site. E-mail me with your address, and I will e-mail pics to you. I know this isn't the proper way to do this, but even my phone is smarter than I am about this stuff.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by intercessor
    I am not techno-savy enough to upload pics onto this site. E-mail me with your address, and I will e-mail pics to you. I know this isn't the proper way to do this, but even my phone is smarter than I am about this stuff.

The coded date used by Beretta during the 1950's, when they made the Grands. Would be in the Roman Numeral format. What is the Roman Numeral on your rifle?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am unable to find any roman numerals anywhere on the receiver. I am perplexed by the early date on the SA barrel, as I assumed that Beretta didn't make garands during the war.
  • Options
    Ned FallNed Fall Member Posts: 662
    edited November -1
    No, I don't think Beretta made Garands during the war as Italy was at war with the United States for a while and they were busy making rifles for the Italian Army. Besides the Garand wasn't adopted until 1936. Seems that Beretta did make some knock offs of the Garands in the 1950/60s and a knock off of the M-14 called a BM 59.
  • Options
    Emmett DunhamEmmett Dunham Member Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Danes most likley put the barrel in the Gurand when it was rebuilt or Someone built up a parts gun out of the receiver. The 43 barrel is a plus if the ME and TE is good.
  • Options
    bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I read this article about M1's recently when I was looking for aome info on Garands.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1_Garand
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all the input. The barrel seems good, Emmett, with a TE of 3 and a MW of just under 2. I'm in the process of getting all the copper fouling our, and overall, I'm very pleased to add this variant to my collection.