In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Replace or fix 788 bolt

bsdoylebsdoyle Member Posts: 279 ✭✭
edited March 2013 in Ask the Experts
Have a opportunity to purchase a 788 22-250. Gentleman says it wont extract or eject shells. Says the inside grove of the bolt that pulls the casing out is chipped. I have not seen it. I looked at my 788 223 and if that is missing it is major I assume. So. Is a fix possible or replacement or is it parts. Thanx in advance Steve

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most likely from your description, the "Extractor" located on the face of the bolt is broken or inoperable.

The 788 hasn't been made by Remington for many years. Because of this getting a replacement functional extractor might be difficult. Not only in the 788, but in many other rifles the extractor is one of the most common parts to fail.

If you can positively ascertain that the extractor is broken, and nothing else is wrong with the rifle. Buy it if you can get it at a good price. The 22-250 extractor would be similar to those used for the .308 family of cartridges. Likely you will be able to get hold of a replacement in reasonable time, as long as your patient.

EDIT #1, If the owner managed to shear all the bolt lugs off a 788 bolt? He must have been reloading the 22-250 brass with Bullseye.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hard to tell from here. I have seen bolt lugs sheared off on guns that the owner thought was minor damage.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufacturers/Remington-33454/Rifles-37895/788-39573.htm?results=All
  • Options
    5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    The bolt lugs on a 788 are rear locking, there are no lugs on the front end of the bolt. I have a 788 and do not understand what you mean about an inside groove on the bolt that pulls the case out... there is an extractor that pulls the case out. Also if it will not extract the case how do you know if it will eject or not? If it won't extract you can't check where it will eject or not.
  • Options
    bsdoylebsdoyle Member Posts: 279 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    5mm all Im tellin is what I was told by the owner. I am not a smith but I do know it has to be extracted before it can be ejected. Sounds like by replies and a little diggin might be the extractor is broke not actually part of the bolt. And yes they does lock up in rear. Tanx
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    bsdoyle,

If it is the extractor, there are replacements:

REMINGTON 700-STYLE RIVETED EXTRACTOR KIT

Factory-Type Replacement Restores Function & Serviceability

Replaces the no-longer-available Remington factory part to keep older rifles shooting. A fast, economical, alternative to returning rifle to the factory for repair. Replacement requires no modification to bolt or rifle. Fits all variations of 700, 600, 600M, 660, 742, 760, 788, 40X and XP-100. Large fits calibers with .473" (12.01mm) diameter case head, including .22-250, .243, .270, .308, .30-06, etc. Small fits calibers with .378" (9.60mm) diameter case head, including .17 Rem., .222, .223, etc.

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/extractor-parts/extractors/remington-700-style-riveted-extractor-kit-prod321.aspx

Best.
  • Options
    spiritsspirits Member Posts: 363 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A friend's Rem 721 had the extractor break off a piece (i.e., just a bit of the extractor) and it lodged in the lower lug well. It caused chambering and extraction difficulties. He show it to me and I saw the piece of metal and removed it but didn't know what it was until I took his rifle to a gunsmith (San Antonio's Steve Cline). Steve removed the extractor. You could now see where the extractor broke off a piece. There was no rivet to hold the extractor (Note this is the way the extractor design for the Rem 721.) so Steve installed a riveted Rem 700 extractor. Problems solved.
  • Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    Rarely, but sometimes, a 700 or 788 breaks the extractor & a piece of the bolt nose goes with it! The extractor lives in a little counterbore, and if the wall of the counterbore is broke out that is a problem!

If the bolt nose has a missing piece, the repair is not impossible, but not easy or cheap. A used bolt will run close to $200 when you finally find one.
  • Options
    Emmett DunhamEmmett Dunham Member Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is an anvil that you can buy to flatten the rivet, I replaced the chipped extractor on the 700 22/250 I have. Even at buying the tool to do the job it was still cheaper than paying a gun smith.

Emmett