In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Iver Johnson .22 Carbine

mr.tboltmr.tbolt Member Posts: 449
edited March 2013 in Ask the Experts
Does anyone here have any experience with the Iver Johnson .22 carbine? Is it a decent shooter?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    anyone know anything about these?

i have seen them on gunbroker ond other web sites and think that it would be fun to own one.

some of them are more expensive than others though, don't know why (other than condition)

how accurate are they (it would be used for fun shooting, a lttle target and varmint work), are the parts easy to find, can ya throw a scope on them easy?
    basicaly are they worth the 175 - 400 that i have seen them adverised for
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It would be best if you could post quality photos of the carbine. Or provide a very specific description.

Instructions for posting photos at this link.

http://forums.GunBroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=259294

IJ started making .22 carbines back in the 20's. We can't help you with out knowing which specific carbine your referring to?

EDIT #1, The experience I had with the Erma made repos, wasn't positive. Owned and worked on 2 of their .22 Luger knock-offs, that dated to the 60's. They were mostly made of Zinc die castings/potmetal and weren't durable. I had to repair both of them so that they would be functional.

Have no experience with their .22 M1 carbine. If it was made like the Lugers of mostly potmetal, I would steer clear of it. Erma went belly up in the late 90's. Likely parts and repairs would be hard to come by , if you have functioning problems.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I don't have a pic of the rifle. It was just offered to me. But it was made by Erma in West Germany. It is the M1 .22.
  • Options
    FatstratFatstrat Member Posts: 9,147
    edited November -1
    I've owned a couple. And have had good experiences with the ones I owned. A near dead ringer for the U.S. .30Cal M-1 Carbine. Devoured bulk ammo and did it accurately.
    Have heard many reports of ammo pickiness in others. They are gaining in collector interest. I've seen VG to EX condition examples sell at auction (here) in the $400. range.
    IMO the main draw back is that both ERMA and IJ are now many years defunct. If it ever breaks, parts will be a HARD find. Even to replace a magazine these days is at least $100. IF you can find one.
    BTW: ERMA was a MFG of German 98K Mauser's and other weapons in WW-2.
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    Get yourself a basic Ruger 10/22 and do an M-1 conversion. I did this one yesterday. The 10/22 is dependable and parts are readily available.

BEFORE:
    31455_3971864914632_332539936_n.jpg

AFTER:
    486084_3971866234665_25310525_n.jpg
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i have had 3 of them over the years and found them to be good shooters...hard to find 15 rd magazines and many had rear sight removed ???????..recently got a chiappa clone and am quite satisfied with it...resonable price and very close in size and appearance
  • Options
    BGHillbillyBGHillbilly Member Posts: 1,927 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sports Authority had a dead ringer for the M1 on Thursday, including what looked to be a bayonnet lug. $399 on the tag. I didn't look at it or see who made it, verified that it was a .22 with the clerk and went on to more useful and interesting guns. Watched a guy come in to purchase a DPMS, he got to looking at a Windham and left to do some research.
  • Options
    FatstratFatstrat Member Posts: 9,147
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by BGHillbilly
    Sports Authority had a dead ringer for the M1 on Thursday, including what looked to be a bayonnet lug. $399 on the tag. I didn't look at it or see who made it, verified that it was a .22 with the clerk and went on to more useful and interesting guns. Watched a guy come in to purchase a DPMS, he got to looking at a Windham and left to do some research.

It's the Chiappa.
  • Options
    ManygunsManyguns Member Posts: 3,837
    edited November -1
    I have one of the Erma M-1 .22's. I love it and have never had a problem. The Chiappas look nice and so does the 10/22 conversion.
    Tom