In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

922(r) Compliance?

NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,663 ✭✭✭✭
edited March 2013 in Ask the Experts
I just got a Benelli M2 with a 21" barrel that I want to set up for 3-gun matches. My original plan was to add a Nordic +5 mag tube, Dave's Metal Works Speedbar, Hi-Viz fiber-optic front sight, have a 10/22 rear sight dovetailed into the rib, and a Nordic BFB bolt handle. Now I'm reading in places that the gun will no longer be in compliance with some BS law that's on the books. What do I need to do to remain in compliance with the nanny state regulations?

Thanks for the reply, llama.
Mine has the Comfortech stock so I would have 11 foreign made parts.
It looks like I would only need to change out the follower in order to stay in compliance. I'm assuming that adding the mag extension would NOT count as changing the magazine. Is this correct or do I need to change out the forearm also? I'll be out of town this week so thanks in advance for any and all replies.

Comments

• Options
    llamallama Member Posts: 2,637 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Edit for the reply - All depends - is the mag tube the "mag body" ? What if it is half and half us and imported as an extension/add on would be? Who knows. Searching "beneli m2 922r" led to some forums with ATF letters, the answer may be there.

922r deals with imported firearms. If said firearm has certain features, then no more than 10 critical parts may be foreign made.

(1) Frames, receivers, receiver castings, forgings or stampings
    (2) Barrels
    (3) Barrel extensions
    (4) Mounting blocks (trunions)
    (5) Muzzle attachments
    (6) Bolts
    (7) Bolt carriers
    (8) Operating rods
    (9) Gas pistons
    (10) Trigger housings
    (11) Triggers
    (12) Hammers
    (13) Sears
    (14) Disconnectors
    (15) Buttstocks
    (16) Pistol grips
    (17) Forearms, handguards
    (18) Magazine bodies
    (19) Followers
    (20) Floorplates

A second quick google shows that the Beneli M1/M2 shotguns appear to have 11 or 12 depending on pistol grip or straight stock -

1. Receiver, #163
    2. Barrel, #156
    3. Bolt, #7
    4. Trigger Housing, #147
    5. Trigger, #146
    6. Hammer, #85
    7. Disconnector, #160
    8. Buttstock, #165
    9. Pistol grip, not shown (if applicable?)
    10. Forearm, #59
    11. Magazine body, #103
    12. Follower, #98

See schematic at Brownells - http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/Schematics/SchemMFG.aspx?schemid=683
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You need do NOTHING.

As long as your modified shotgun is not identical to a model that is prohibited from importation, you can do whatever you want. See ATF P 5300.4, page 167, section 18.

Note that Benelli actually sells an M2 3-gun model.

Neal