In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

What Manufacturer Made This AR Barrel?

PauperPauper Member Posts: 117 ✭✭
edited March 2013 in Ask the Experts
I know that every company in the world seems to be turning out AR items. This barrel I am asking about is marked "SA 5.56 NATO 1/9" in white on the end closest to the muzzle. Does the SA designate some particular manufacturer?

Thanks in advance for any help identifying the manufacturer of this item.

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Springfield Armory, comes to mind. No idea if that's correct though? They farm out a lot of their stuff, might be made under contract?

You might consider calling their customer service folks. They were quite helpful last time I called.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would be willing to bet that is a STAG ARMS barrel.

Best
  • Options
    KEVD18KEVD18 Member Posts: 15,037
    edited November -1
    many, many companies are putting out ar products, but those products are made by a much shorter list of companies. they just stamp different names on them.

it would be murderously expensive for a small time operation to make every part of the rifle themselves, so they contract out the manufacture of most parts with their name on them and call them their own. in fairness, they spec the parts out. what metal, what hardness, twist rate, finish etc. they design it, someone else builds it and puts the designers name on it. same thing with clothing, electronics etc.

i think of it like an orange county chopper(in the early days). they didnt hardly make anything. they flipped through catalogs, picked parts and bolted them together. when done, you had an OCC bike, but not really. as they progressed as a company(fueled almost entirely by americas need for popcorn television, but i digress), they starting fabricating their own parts. frames, tins, bars etc. now, an occ bike is truly occ, but thats not where they started.

i wont swear to the accuracy of this well traveled list, but even if its half true it demonstrates my point. this is a list of ar15 lower manufacturers and who really made the lower with such and such a name on it:

Lewis Machine & Tool
    LMT
    Lauer
    DS Arms
    PWA
    Eagle
    Armalite
    Knights Armament
    Barrett

Continental Machine Tool
    Stag
    Rock River Arms
    High Standard
    Noveske
    Century (New)
    Global Tactical
    CLE
    S&W
    MGI
    Wilson Tactical
    Grenadier Precision
    Colt

LAR Manufacturing
    LAR
    Bushmaster
    Ameetec
    DPMS
    CMMG
    Double Star
    Fulton Armory
    Spike's Tactical

JVP
    Double Star
    LRB
    Charles Daly

Mega Machine Shop
    Mega
    GSE
    Dalphon
    POF
    Alexander Arms

Olympic
    Olympic
    SGW
    Tromix
    Palmetto
    Dalphon
    Frankford
    Century (Old)

Sun Devil
    Sun Devil forged billet receivers
    Lone Star Armory forged billet receivers

Superior
    Superior Arms
    Lauer (New)

Aero Precision
    Aero Precision
    Surplus Ammo and Arms
    Palmetto State Armory

so you have 50 or so companies being manufactured by like 9 machining companies. see what im getting at?