In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Gun Pricing Book

Toned1Toned1 Member Posts: 92 ✭✭
edited March 2013 in Ask the Experts
I asked this last week but didn't get a clear responce so i'll ask it again in another way.

If you could only buy one book which would be used as a guide to help you grade and price guns (old colt revolvers) which book would that be?

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Very doubtful just one book, will cut it. I recommend starting with these two, to get your feet wet.

1, Book of Colt Firearms, by Sutherland and Wilson.

2, Flayderman's Guide to Antique American Firearms, 9th Edition.
  • Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    there is no one book
  • Options
    stegsteg Member Posts: 871 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with rufe-snow. However, try to get a 2nd edition copy of "The Book of Colt Firearms" by R.L. Wilson. It is the same book referenced by rufe-snow, except slightly expanded. It is the Bible where Colts are concerned.
    And, with due respect to Norm Flayderman, the last edition of his book is several years old and therefore the prices are really out of date. However, the descriptions of Colts in the book is right on the money.
    With regards to pricing, I would look up the history of sales on the parent site of this forum. That information will be far more relavent than prices published in a book. The fact is, that by the book is printed and published, the prices are about a year out of date.
  • Options
    JohnnyBGoodJohnnyBGood Member Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Toned1
    If you could only buy one book which would be used as a guide to help you grade and price guns (old colt revolvers) which book would that be?

"Old" is a relative term. If you were born in 1990 Colt revolvers from the 1960's might be "old" [:)]

So, ASSUMING you mean antiques and curio and relics, from the inception of the Colt company to the early 1900's, the aforementioned FLAYDERMAN'S GUIDE will give you BOTH the grading and pricing information you seek, as well as identification of the various models and numerous photographs.

Johnny
  • Options
    gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The quality books are expensive, just like quality Colt's.
    Good luck to you,
    Ed
    p.s. Fake/refinished Colt's can be even more expensive in the long run.

http://forums.GunBroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=594357

http://forums.GunBroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=594277
  • Options
    gartmangartman Member Posts: 660 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Book of Colt Firearms" does not have any price or value guides, just a lot of info on Colt variations as they came from the factory. For evaluations, the Blue Book, even with its faults, is your best bet. Flayderman's is the bible for American antique guns in general but a bit too generic for a Colt collector.
  • Options
    gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    As you are learning, no one book has the complete "one stop shopping" price answer. But, as reference and as perhaps a starting point, I use the Blue Book as the first reference to give me a price guide and then work from there. Gun Trader is another reference as is the Shooters Bible and, of course, the auctions on GB. As you get more experienced, you will use a variety of sources including, perhaps, local auctions to find out what is selling in your area. Visits to gun shops also help test the market....just look what has happened to the market recently!!!
  • Options
    FatstratFatstrat Member Posts: 9,147
    edited November -1
    It really depends on the info you are looking for. Some give just the basic values. Others go in depth.
    As a person who generally like older guns, I find I use the Gun Traders Guide most often. Mostly for the model data more than the value. If I want gun values, I use the auctions here.