In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

deformed shell casing

spotty bobekspotty bobek Member Posts: 219 ✭✭
edited March 2013 in Ask the Experts
Shooting a GLOCK 23 and noticing the casings are
out of round at the open end. I don't think it matters
what brand of pistol anyone know what the problem may
be without going to a gunsmith?

Comments

• Options
    the middlethe middle Member Posts: 3,089
    edited November -1
    could be a lot of things.

What generation Glock is it? Earlier generations had bigger chambers for better feeding, at the expense of "bulged" brass. That could be it.

Did it always do it? or did it just start?

What brand of brass is it? and does it do it with other brands?

Is it factory, or reload? (if reloaded, for the love of God dont use lead bullets in a factory Glock barrel!!! Jacketed ONLY!!!)
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    spotty bobek,

I don't really see a problem, as long as your pistol is functioning 100%. If you reload, the brass all gets deprimed, and resized, then expanded, anyway. If it is not broke, do not fix it, or have anyone else fix it.

Most all semi-auto's, rifle, or pistol, will deform the brass, at least a little.

Best
  • Options
    spotty bobekspotty bobek Member Posts: 219 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Federal 180 grn jhp hydroshock.Just noticed the problem, never noticed it before. GLOCK third generation. The casings look as though they are hitting off something and denting.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As the extractor pulls the fired case out of the chamber, the slide is in recoil mode. Eventually the base of the fired cartridge hit the ejector that's mounted on the left side of the frame/receiver.

This causes the cartridge case to pivot to the right out the ejection port.

Perhaps the front portion of soft brass cartridge case hits the side of the slide prior to being fully ejected?

I've reloaded various kinds of bent and fluted, ( H & K, 10mm, MP 5) brass in the past. The stuff might look ugly when you pick it up off the ground, but it's still reloadable. Nothing to worry about.
  • Options
    Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,197 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I reload a lot of used brass. I probably see 15-20% that has case mouth dents. It's not uncommon, some guns do it more than others.