In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

ar vs hk sl8

gregrphgregrph Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
edited December 2001 in Ask the Experts
anyone with exp with both of these rifles? any other 223's that deserve a look?

Comments

• gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    What do you want to use the rifle for? H&K's cost alot more and do not give you alot more. AR's are a good choice. The Bushmaster M17 BullPup is good. Sooooooooo back to the question. What do you want the rifle for?
  • gregrphgregrph Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    why does anyone want an ar or sl8? for the pleasure of shooting a fine "assault" rifle. i know the sl8 is more than the garden variety ar, but it is less money than some of the highend ar's. would like to know how they compare in terms of performance, handling characteristics, reliability, etc...
  • cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The AR is BetterMore accurateHas HiCap magsCosts lessMuch more support available.Yes I have bothcperemd
  • Police SharpshooterPolice Sharpshooter Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The ARs are more accurate, and you can get about any accessory for them easily. Hands down a better choice. Check into Bushmaster, best gun for the money in my opinion.
  • kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I also have both, my SL8 came out of the box shooting sub-M.O.A. (under 1" @ 100yds), however I would still reccomend the AR. The SL-8 trigger is quite heavy and there is nothing much you can do about it. There is a color change process and a conversion kit (to use AR mags) avaiable through Special Weapons as well as a pistol grip stock in the near future ... if your wanting something un-common the HK is the way to go but be prepared to spend the $$$. It wouldn't take much to drop $2000+ on one.The AR, as previously noted, has lots of accessories avaiable, much more support available, and conciderbly less money out of the box (that's not to say you can't wrap up the same amount of $$$ in an AR & accessories). There are probably a few million AR's out there, compared to just few thousand SL8's. Both are great weapons, and quite accurate, IMHO ... but I shoot my Bushmaster much more than the SL8.
    GUN CONTROL: If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention!kimberkid@gunbroker.zzn.com
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.