In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Enfield Mk3

ebeshirsebeshirs Member Posts: 382 ✭✭
edited January 2002 in Ask the Experts
My dad has obtained a .410 that I found out (through looking at different guns here on the auction) was a converted enfield. My question is, what do I look for specificly to tell if it is a Lee Enfield #1, British Enfield #1, or a British Enfield #4?Does anyone have experiance with these? Are they actually safe to shoot with 3" shells or should I stick with 2 3/4"? Are slugs OK?I don't know anything about these. Please HELP!!

Comments

• Options
    Der GebirgsjagerDer Gebirgsjager Member Posts: 1,673 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Chances are very good that your Enfield is a converted No.1 Mk. III. Probably the most readily apparent difference between the No.1 and the No. 4 is the location and type of rear sight; an adjustable notch-type on the rear portion of the barrel on the No.1 and a peep sight on the rear of the No.4's receiver. Often the model designation can be found on the receiver collar in the vicinity of the bolt handle. Most of these rifles-turned-shotgun are from India where they were used as forager guns. They were originally rechambered from .303 British to an odd-ball one-of-a-kind shot cartridge that, in theory, would be unobtainable by enemy troops if the weapon was captured. They have been re-rechambered for importation into this country. Most of them are in the 3 inch version, but not all; and you'd be wise to have the length of the chamber determined by a gunsmith. The gun should be perfectly safe for shooting slugs, as it was designed for higher pressures than a .410 slug will generate.
  • Options
    ebeshirsebeshirs Member Posts: 382 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks Der,From your description, his is a #1.Would you happen to know of any place on the web that has an exploded view or instructions on field stripping for general maintanance?