In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ship Handgun to/from gunsmith?

UnclePatUnclePat Member Posts: 77 ✭✭
edited January 2002 in Ask the Experts
Am a little confused RE shipping a handgun to a gunsmith for a trigger job. I presume that the USPS is out; must be via UPS, etc. But, can the smith ship it back directly to me? or do I need an FFL?

Comments

• Options
    AntiqueDrAntiqueDr Member Posts: 691 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A firearm can be shipped by a non-licensee to a licensee for purposes of repair, and the firearm can be returned to the non-licensee. You do not need a receiving FFL for the return trip.Now, getting UPS to believe that may be a different ballgame.
    We buy, sell and trade quality guns and scopes!Ask us about Shepherd Scopes!Visit our website at www.ApaxEnterprises.com
  • Options
    nmyers@home.comnmyers@home.com Member Posts: 205 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The best way to get UPS to accept it is to declare it as "Firearm for repair". Federal law requires that you notify any common carrier that your package contains a firearm.You should be aware that UPS (and FEDEX) require handguns be sent Next Day Air. That could run $20-40 each way; check their website for details.Dealers can ship handguns by USPS. It may be cheaper to pay one to ship it for you.Neal
  • Options
    EOD GuyEOD Guy Member Posts: 931
    edited November -1
    Federal law does not require you to notify a carrier that a package contains a firearm as long as you are shipping to an FFL holder. However, the carriers want to know and if you don't declare, you can forget about any insurance claims.
  • Options
    Ronald J. SnowRonald J. Snow Member Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check out {18USC 922(a)(2)(A) and 922(e),27CFR 178.31 and refer to page 136 (B9). By federal law you are required to notify the carrier that the shipment contains a firearm and the carrier is prohibitted from marking/labeling any package as containing a firearm.