In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Good source for 308 ammunition ?

altosaltos Member Posts: 187 ✭✭✭
edited February 2002 in Ask the Experts
Good day,Are there any recommendations for a source for quality 308 surplus ammunition ? Radway Green or Hirtenberger or ??? 1000 rnd/caseAny insights appreciated.Thanks !

Comments

• Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    HirtenbergerLippman's Dan's,Aim,SOG.cpermd
  • Options
    ref44ref44 Member Posts: 251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Last I bought was Portguese ball for $129/M from Classic Arms. Boxes of 20 rounds, 10 boxes per heavy-plastic battle pack, 5 battle packs per case.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    How did the Portuguese shoot ? Can you compare it to Hirt or RG ? Side note: Lippmann no longer sells ammo.thanks !
  • Options
    edited November -1
    SorryI forgot Bob quit.Potugese is nice and cheaper than the others.$130-140 is my usual target price.cpermd
  • Options
    edited November -1
    cpermd... a totally subjective question: do you believe the Portuguese shoots as well as Radway Green (assuming you have shot it) or Hirtenberger. There are some decent deals out there on Hirtenberger and the Portuguese. Radway seems to be in short supply at this moment. I have found both the Hirt and RG to be very satisfactory but would like to try a third in case supply on the other two craps out.thanks !
  • Options
    edited November -1
    YesI also like the Denel from SAcpermd
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the reply. I have found the Portuguese for $134/1k, Hirt for $139/1K. Any opinions on good sources for the SA ?I strongly lean towards sealed battle packs for storage sake... don't like those loooooooooose rounds in cans.thanks !!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    As a follow-on, I found that Wideners has Radway Green 308 in 400 round cans at $65.00 each in quantity x2, $66 for x1. $130.00 for 800 rounds. I bought some of this from "gunsnammo" awhile back but they are now out. Regardless, it comes in a slightly larger (than usual) ammo can with 8 plastic trays@50/rnds per tray. I have 2 more cans now coming my way. Listed as "80's production". My first 3 cans were stamped '84 (x2) or '85 (x1). Just an FYI...enjoy,
  • Options
    ref44ref44 Member Posts: 251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No, altos, I cannot compare it with any other source; but I have used 3-4 cases of it so far with satisfaction. But most of my shooting is at 100 yards with iron sights and, at age 58, I don't see too well anymore. So I cannot speak to group size.Seems I recall a few years back that there was some Spanish .308 on the market that was dangerously hot and should be avoided. Maybe others recall more about it than I do. The memory goes with the eyesight.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ref44,Thanks for the reply. I, too, use iron sights on old eyes fogged by gray hair. I have heard discouraging comments on Spanish and Chilean 308, mixed to positive on the SA and positive on the Portuguese. Hirtenberger has worked well for me and the Radway Green (especially the ammo sold in plastic range trays, 8 to a can vs 20 rnd cardboard boxes) is quite good. Since SOG is out of Hirtenberger I went for the Wideners RG. I will likely pick up a case of their Portuguese very shortly. By the way, I refuse to get older but wonder why the targets are getting farther away...