In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Can Someone Help Me?

Lalartu976Lalartu976 Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited November 2002 in Ask the Experts
I have come across an old gun my stepfather got from his father and we are trying to figure out what kind it is... its a old short double barrel cap and ball gun..looks like a flintlock. not to sure though.. has no numbers on it but it has letters on the handle looks like german.. from what we can make out the letters say HALESSER U VOGEL
SCUMALKAIDEN. no idea what that means or if the letters are correct. i have a picture of it on my computer. if you email me i can send you the picture and see if we can figure this thing out.. thanks alot..

lalartu976@aol.com

Comments

• Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,977 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I do not have the resources to help with the id, but cap and ball and flintlock are not the same. The flinlock has a hammer that has two jaws that can hold a peice of flint. Outside the touchhole is a small pan with a sort of L shaped piece called a frizzen that closes down over the pan. The percussion cap rifle has a hammer which has a sort of hole in the end which falls on a nipple on which the cap sets. There is no visible hole directly into the barrel.
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Caplock guns have a hollow round "nipple" that the cap fits over for the "hammer" to strike.
    On a flintlock there is a "pan" to hold the priming powder, which is covered by the "frizzen" until the flint, which is held by the jaws of the hammer, strikes it creating the sparks which light the priming powder.
    If it has a tube (nipple) that the hammer can hit, it's a caplock (percussion).
    If the hammer has jaws like a vise and what it hits aganst has a folding cover, than it's a flintlock.

Measure the length of the barrels (inside and outside) along with the size (diameter) of the bores (holes in the end) be as accurate as possiable. Give us these numbers along with a more detailed discription, and someone will be able to identify it.

There have been cases of these things having been left loaded, so compair the inside length to the outside length. If there is more than about 3/4" difference you might have a live load in the barrel, and should take it to a gunsmith that's familer with blackpowder

Some guys like a mag full of lead, I still prefer one round to the head.

Edited by - Tailgunner1954 on 11/25/2002 17:53:54
  • Options
    kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    email your pic to me and I'll host it for you, maybe that will help?

===========================
    Chance favors the prepared mind
    kimberkid@gunbroker.zzn.com
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • Options
    captkirk3@dslextreme.comcaptkirk3@dslextreme.com Member Posts: 3,804
    edited November -1
    I can find nothing in my database or Books...so have sent off a copy of your request to an associate of mine in Germany...Don't know how long it will take to get a reply...if you don't hear from me in a few days...drop me a note direct email.....Best......

Captain Kirk, Tech Staff