In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

accuracy

hecklerxkochhecklerxkoch Member Posts: 213 ✭✭✭
edited November 2002 in Ask the Experts
Years back, I had a .270 Winchester Model 70 that was fabulously accurate with certain hand loads, nicely scoped and a pleasure to shoot. I sold it, too cheaply, and have regretted that ever since.

I still have a small collection of nice guns, but nothing to compare with that .270.

I'd like to find another rifle suited to long-range shooting and high accuracy, but frankly I know too little about the choices.

Perhaps this is one of those topics on which there are as many opinions as people. But I'd like to know more about what rifles would be excellent choices for very long range, very precise shooting (500 yards and beyond).

I want something that is inherently accurate. I don't expect to hunt with it. My intention is for sport shooting at a range, and to see how far I can push my own skills.

I understand very well that rifles can vary widely in accuracy, even among copies of the same make/model. I know that a bit of attention from a gunsmith can sometimes make a moderately accurate rifle into a nail-driver. What I want is something that's a good bet: likely to be highly accurate out of the box, and proven to be responsive to custom improvements.

Although I'm pretty sure I can choose a great scope, I'd still be pleased to see your suggestions for optics.

I'm well versed in handloading and well equipped. I can sight-in a new scope nicely, and I can do a good logical job of testing loads and projectiles. That's the fun part that I look forward to, once I have in hand a suitable catapult. [;)]

Fire away.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Again without beating a dead horse, I own a win 43 in mashburn bee. Alot of shooters talk about "glass bedding" the barrel and I was just wondering what the heck is that and also why would that improve the accuracy of a rifle. I understand the principle of "free floating" but the glass bedding thing is over me. I'm always looking for that extra 1/4". If there are any suggestions, I'm all ears. Oh and by the way, my son got his first buck this year. I was very proud if not more than he was(6point!). He just turned 13. This is his 2nd deer!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    what is glassbedding? I hear it really helps with accuracy, but how and why. I'm also thinking about freefloating the barrel and reducing the trigger weight. Are these good ideas and why? Thanks a lot!!!

New gun??? No, honey, I've had it for years.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have an uncatalogued Rem. stainless classic in 257 Roberts. I can not get it to group any less than app 2 in. Can you give any helpful hints, or should I try to let REMINGTON solve the problem? How would I go about taking this up with REM? Thank you for any help you may have. David
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I see that most LE and Military snipers shoot 308's. Why is this? Is this caliber more superior than any other?

socarl.txt
  • Options
    longrangerlongranger Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Glassbedding refers to a fiberglass puddy type material something like autobody puddy, it is spread into the area of the stock where the action bolts into. The action is coated with a nonstick substance or rapping and pressed back into the stock, when it dries the action is removed. This process fills all the little open spots and makes the stock and the action more solid and uniformly even in their fit together.
    A free floating barrel and removing the creep and lightening the trigger pull are major improvements to accurate tighter groups. Having the barrel crowned is another good upgrade.
    Just remember hanging a bipod onto the barrel will put pressure on it and will cause groupings to spread.

Edited by - longranger on 11/25/2002 14:28:34
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you have a sporter weight (pencil barrel) then free floating will more times than not, deteriorate your accuracy. Light contour barrels need the foreward contact point to shoot well. If it is a bull barrel, it must be free floated to shoot well. Make your decision according to what barrel you will be using. Also, the bedding will make a difference, but do not have the rifle put back together without the gunsmith headspacing your barrel while the rifle is apart. The labor of taking it apart is already included at that point and the headspacing along with a trigger job will greatly increase the groups of a factory sporter weight rifle.

If you do decide to have it bedded, ask your gunsmith to use a product called "marine tex". It is a boating industry, 2 part epoxy that will resist solvents and remain intact much longer than most other compounds out there. It is what McMillan is currently using to bed their rifles and stocks.

I'm a man,....but I can change,.....If I have to,......I guess.
  • Options
    GPWEAPONGPWEAPON Member Posts: 549 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a lightweight rem in .243 years ago. I did a glassbed/freefloat job myself nothing fancy, I then proceded to work up a load with 87 gr,hornady fbsp's over imr 3031 thing would shoot 3/8" at 100 yds. you didn't say if you reload or what type of rifle you have. Reloading is a key to accuracy.
  • Options
    gunone4gunone4 Member Posts: 39 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pillar bedding your action will do more for your accuracy than just bedding the action and barrel
  • Options
    edited November -1
    the gun I have is a remington m700 7mm with a kevlar stock and a bull barrel. I am also thinking about getting a winchester m70 featherweight (I think it's a model 70, might be a modal 94) in the new 7mm winchester short magnum. any ideas for either of these guns??

New gun??? No, honey, I've had it for years.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If your 7mm is a sendero you won't be needing to by anything else. It already has an HS Precision stock and very good barrel.

I do hear that the 7mm WSM is a performing caliber.

I would go with either action for a great build up gun, but for out of the box accuracy, you won't beat that 700rem

I'm a man,....but I can change,.....If I have to,......I guess.