In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

303 Savage ammo

frog2frog2 Member Posts: 168 ✭✭✭
edited November 2002 in Ask the Experts
Does anyone know where I can find some?

Thanks Tom

Comments

• Options
    frog2frog2 Member Posts: 168 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi....Anyone know of a source for 303 Savage ammo, reloading dies or brass? Almost nothing seems to be available for this Savage 99 that I have. Thanks.....BT
  • Options
    IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Watch the auctions under 'ammo' and 'collectible ammo' on this and Another Auction site. Run a search every five days; most listings run at least that long. Watch at gun shows and the shops you visit. It's out there . . . Winchester made a run a few years ago . . . but in demand and commands a premium of sorts - typically goes for $30 - $40 a box. Once you have it, save the brass!! Even if you don't load yourself, you should be able to find someone who can do it for you.
  • Options
    Iroquois ScoutIroquois Scout Member Posts: 930 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 303 Savage cartridge is no longer being loaded commercially,Winchester was the last one to load it and loaded cartridges are becomeing very hard to find. Those of us who like this old cartridge reform .30-30 Winchester brass to fit and load 150 grain spitzer bullets to give better performance then the .30-30. One advantage of the .303 is it's ability to use heavier bullets like the 180 grain spitzer bullets. This is one of the great woods cartridges for deer useing the 150 grain bullet and can be used for larger game by useing heavier bulets. However,it will always be a mid-range cartridge and it's use should be confined to 200 yards or less. Try looking for it at gun shows and flea markets. I don't think that you will find it on the shelf in your local gun store as people like me bought it all up years ago. If you are thinking of ammo to shoot,be sure to buy only cartridges that have been produced in the last 10 or 12 years as there is ammo out there that goes all the way back to 1900. Better yet,load your own.