In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

missing rifle?

richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
edited November 2002 in Ask the Experts
a local pawn shop who I have used as a transfer agent told me that If he ever had any guns on auction that I wanted to see first hand, I should just stop in and do so to get a better idea of what i was bidding on. Yesterday I stopped in to look at a ruger 77 mk2 that was going at about $230. I thought that if it went that cheap, I would have to own it. Long and short of the story is they couldn't find the rifle. I asked if they lost it they would pull it from the auction so that I would know not to bid on it. I was assured by the owner, that they had not lost a gun ever and it was there somewhere. Today i see the rifle is off auction and it wasn't up for 2 days yet. do I have any duty to inform authorities? The guys at the shop are nice, but I don't trust them as far as I can throw them.
rich

A man with a gun is a CITIZEN, a man without a gun is a subject.

Comments

• Options
    captkirk3@dslextreme.comcaptkirk3@dslextreme.com Member Posts: 3,804
    edited November -1
    Any of a dozen things could have happened..The Rifle could have been Damaged, or maybe it was'nt as discribed, or then again it might have been placed up for Auction at to low a reserve...and so was Pulled...As for Trustworthy...? I'd give them the benifit of the Doubt..In todays gun market and the Laws being what they are...Do You actully think they would put themselves in a Position that you discribe?......

Captain Kirk, Tech Staff
  • Options
    Der GebirgsjagerDer Gebirgsjager Member Posts: 1,673 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Inform them of what? That you think they may have lost a rifle? Maybe it was legitimately sold (the price was right!) by one partner or employee without the other knowing it. Chances are you'll wind up with "egg on your face." Lacking positive proof of an illicit transaction, why not let the Authorities take care of their own business?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    They only sell guns on gunbroker. I have tried to buy out of pawn guns from them and they will not do it. In any case, I am sorry for wasting you gentlemens me. I just didn't feel good about the situation and needed to ask the question. I will let it go and ask them about it next time I go in.

• Options
    edited November -1
    Incidentally, they seem to have pulled all of their auctions off of gunbroker.

• Options
    Der GebirgsjagerDer Gebirgsjager Member Posts: 1,673 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Certainly not a waste of time. Happy to help. Sometimes auction sellers get a tempting offer, end the auction and sell the gun off line. Not necessarily ethical, but not necessarily illegal. Hypothetical: You want to sell a rifle for a minimum of $225 and put it on an auction at $225 hoping it will be bid higher by the end of the auction, perhaps to $300. After a day or two someone who really wants the rifle and also believes that it may go to $300 or higher telephones/e-mails you and says, "Hey, Rich, I'll give you $250 for it if you'll take it off the auction." So, after thinking it over, you decide (1)$250 beats $225, which it may sell for if it stays on the auction if the only bid you get is your asking price, (2) it may not sell at all, and (3) "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush". So, you take it off and sell it--and other interested prospective buyers wonder what happened to it. I've got a feeling this is what happened to you. The good news: they made more than one of this model, and another will come along. Best wishes.
  • Options
    captkirk3@dslextreme.comcaptkirk3@dslextreme.com Member Posts: 3,804
    edited November -1
    There you go! You have a second opinion...it can or could be for a lot of reasons...Maybe someone in the Partnership is Sick or Died and that can cause a bunch of confusion...There will always be another come down the Pike....Lets not have a Lynching until we're absolutly sure that these People are Guilty of something.....!

Captain Kirk, Tech Staff
  • Options
    Shootist3006Shootist3006 Member Posts: 4,171
    edited November -1
    quote:do I have any duty to inform authorities?
    Only if you are a paid informant or snitch!

Quod principi placuit legis habet vigorem.Semper Fidelis