In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

lathes for gunsmithing

oughtsixoughtsix Member Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2002 in Ask the Experts
Any informed, experienced opinions on benchtop lathes for gunsmithing,
about 10X30, affordably priced, appreciated. Are the oriental imports
such as Grizzly, Smithy, Harbor Freight, etc. any good? Reasonably priced used? Anyone seen the Birmingham YCL-1236, (a chinese job that looks really nice in the pictures and comes very equipped, but I'm not buying a picture)?

Comments

• Options
    captkirk3@dslextreme.comcaptkirk3@dslextreme.com Member Posts: 3,804
    edited November -1
    I have found over the years that a Lathe should have at least a 40 Inch bed..as most gunsmiths will find that someone is gonna walk in the door with a Barrel that won't fit in what he currently owns..And the old adage that says...I'm only gonna do small Modern Barrels is fine...but...what about the older long Muzzleloading barrels? If your gonna do the Big Expense...Get a 12 inch CLAUSING with a 60" bed...and a 7"x 10" for Screws and Small Parts....!...Only a personal observation.....And as far as Harbor Frieght...I've only seen thier Small Lathe...It would work Fine on Small Pistol's and making Screws...Don't know where you are located...but here in the Los Angeles Area there are places that sell used Aero Space Machines...You might Find a Los Angeles Phone Directory and look up Machine tools...You never know what you might find...

Captain Kirk, Tech Staff
  • Options
    Der GebirgsjagerDer Gebirgsjager Member Posts: 1,673 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some of the Oriental lathes are good, but not all----I've got a 40" geared head Birmingham made in Taiwan (1992, $4,000), but when I bought it I stayed away from those made in mainland China on the advice of other 'smiths. I've been pretty well satisfied with my purchase, but there were some intitial problems which I worked out such as some of the accessories not being for that machine, a metric thread chart being supplied but none for inch, etc. I was trained on a South Bend, but who can afford one? The British Myford is very good, but very expensive. Grizzly I don't know about. Smitty has received mixed reviews over the years. The smaller ones are too small and the medium sized ones do not have a good reputation for accuracy. The larger, newer models may be better and might be worth a look. I believe that if I had it to do over again I would carefully shop the used tool market for something preferably of U.S. mfg. A well-cared-for lathe will last almost forever. Atlas is a possibility if you can find a later mfg. one with "V" ways instead of the flat ways they used on the earlier and less expensive models. I definately would not buy anything from Harbor Freight Tools! Have you ever gotten a poor/bad/defective/cheaply made product from them (most everything they sell) and attempted to contact someone at their company to get it replaced or repaired? BEWARE!
  • Options
    rhmc24rhmc24 Member Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Can't disagree with any of the above but will mention the importance of a big hole thru the spindle. I cut my teeth on an Atlas that had too small spindle hole. Now, since 1975, have a Logan made in 1954 with a 1 3/8" spindle hole. Big enough for anything so far.

Life is 10 percent what you make it and 90 percent how you take it.
  • Options
    oughtsixoughtsix Member Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks to one and all for the helpful replies. oughtsix
  • Options
    250250 Member Posts: 29 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Before selecting your lathe there are 2 methods of holding a barrel in a lathe. The traditional way is to hold the muzzle in a chuck on the head stock and the breach end in a steady rest, for this method you can chamber most barrels in a lathe with a 24 inch bed, because a good portion of the barrel will stick into the head stock spindle. Few lathes have a head spindle smaller than 13/16-inch ID, sporter barrels would be no problem. The other method is to insert the barrel through the head stock, with the breach end held by a 4 jaw chuck and the muzzle end held by a "locator chuck" at the outboard end of the head stock, using this method requires that the head stock bore be at least 1.2-inches ID. I have a 12" X 36" gear-head Grizzly. When I purchased the lathe I did not get the lathe stand I fabricated my own (very heavy). On the legs of my stand I put leveling mounts with pads, this made it easy to level the lathe. Don't forget to keep your lathe at least 30" from the wall so that you can get behind it. Don't let the idea of operating your own lathe intimidate you, it's not rocket science. The results are very rewarding. 250
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well I will put my 2 cents in since I am a retired Aerospace machinist. My preference is a Hardinge Lathe. You can run collets or the 3 or 4 jaw chucks on em' Get one with at least a 40" bed. Your concentricity on these machines is excellent. Spend a little more and word will get out quick that your gunsmithing work is up to par.These can be picked up sometimes for a song at machinery auctions.
  • Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a South Bend Heavy 10
    1.75 through the spindle so the 26" length is not a problem.
    4 jaw chuck.
    Have never needed more.
    Also a good used Bridgeport and a mini mill.
    TIG and MIG welder and a friend with a heat treat oven.
    I can make just about anything I need.
    cpermd
  • Options
    glynglyn Member Posts: 5,949
    edited November -1
    Purchased a lathe from Grizzly last year,a G4003 36inch centre,great lathe,but it it is not 36inch as they advertise.You can only get a 34inch barrel in between the centers,complained like mad got a $100.0 gift certificate back from them .I get over it by using the four jaw chuck if I have a barrel over 34inches.Incidently you should use centers when turning a barrel if possble.What ever lathe you get make sure it has it has back gears,because if you want to cut threads you dont need to constantly change belts.Hope this info is good,have a happy thanksgiving and godbless.
    Happy trails Glyn

Glyn