In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

name that cartridge.........

hawaiipighunterhawaiipighunter Member Posts: 438 ✭✭✭
edited November 2002 in Ask the Experts
this is a way of getting help for suggestions for other pig hunting guns. i am currently armed with a 410 and slugs, but am looking to broaden my horizons......

the catridge is a short cartridge, delivers enough energy to kill a pig to 75 yards, is readily available, is short range, (i dont want to use a high velocity 223,243,257 due to homes close to hunting area)currently made, chambered in a single shot, bolt action, or semi, or pump gun. affordable.

i have considered these:
30 carbine. looking at a universal m1 carbine...dlr wants 300 bucks.
351 winchester. love the gun ammo is too expensive.
44 mag. planning on ordering the bbl for nef single and topping it with red dot scope.
357 mag. nit sure it has the punch at 75 yards.

so what cartridges am i over looking that would fit this bill?

thanks for the help

kyle

Comments

• Options
    jamesgrayjamesgray Member Posts: 79 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know a guy who hunts whitetails and pigs with a lever action .357 and it seems plenty of punch to about 150 yards or so depending on the specifics. 75 shouldn't be a problem. How much punch do you need? Maybe 30-30? It is found mostly in lever guns but you can find bolt actions.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    james,

the 30-30 is another cartridge i am considering. i would like to get the 30-30 bbl for my new england firearms single shot.

kyle
  • Options
    DuckDuck Member Posts: 57 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hawaiipighunter,
    Can not remember where I saw it but, I understand that the new .480 Ruger is now available in a lever, Marlin I think. Should be good on your pigs.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    duck, that is intersting and i need to go investigate that!!! i wonder if the 454 will ever find its way into a lever gun?

kyle
  • Options
    09arg09arg Member Posts: 24 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    How about the 357 Max? Would a 356 or 375 Winchester work?
  • Options
    IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just read an article tonight which said the .480 was available in a Marlin lever action. I've only hunted boar (unsuccessfully) once, but carrying a .44 Ruger Carbine and M29 S&W I didn't feel at all uncomfortable. I used that .44 for white tail in dense cover and it is a mighty sweet piece for such places. Plenty of power at those ranges, natural pointer (for me, anyway) and mighty handy. I personally would prefer the larger diameter slugs of these two to the .30 Carb or .357 - and the bullet selection for hunting is far, far, better in either factory loads or for handloading. You wouldn't notice the difference on your shoulder in any of these.
  • Options
    groundhog devastationgroundhog devastation Member Posts: 4,495
    edited November -1
    Of those choices I'd have to opt for the 44MAG. Available in lever(Ruger 96/44) Semi auto (Ruger) Plenty of stopping power for 75 yards!!! Ammo readily available and fun to shoot when not looking at porkchops!! The 30 carbine is suited for plinking in my opinion!! And not very good for that!!! 351 although maybe potent, very impractical, 357 great cartridge but 44 just plain better!!! GHD
  • Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    44 Mag
    30/30
    both work very well and I have killed several pigs with each.
    cpermd
  • Options
    queeksdrawqueeksdraw Member Posts: 274 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    .444Marlin,45-70Govt,44spl hand loads,35Rem,32-20,257Roberts,ect.ect
  • Options
    edited November -1
    as i now look at ballistics of my choices, the thuddy/thuddy and 44 mag deliver the most punch. i was amazed at the 44 mag ballistics in a rifle. about 1500 ft pounds of energy at the muzzle. wow! it retains almost a thousand ft pounds at 100 yds.

the 32-20 delivers only 325 at the muzzle.

i went to brenneke's web site and discovered the 3 inch 410 delivers 780 foot pounds at the muzzle, 502 at 25 yds, and 350 at 50 yds. and 260 at 75 yds.

they say it takes a thousand foot pounds of energy to kill a deer. how much would you estimate for a 50 to 70 pound pig?

the more i look at my options, the more i like the new england firearms single 44mag with a red dot scope. of course that would be on the days that i dont carry my 410 in the bush!!!!

kyle