In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

long range shoots

thebrowncowthebrowncow Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
edited November 2002 in Ask the Experts
I have a two part question. First a buddy of mine told me of an elk hunter shooting his elk this year, at 1100 yards, using a 700 express(I think that is what he said the rifle was). Three kill shoots, chest area. No misses. No range finder or spotter. I instantly called bull *. Also the reportedly recovered nosler ballistic tips were all intact, no expansion. Question #1 Why wouldn't the ballistic tips expand. #2 Is this a realistic range for some joe to be hitting that accurate. I hunt and shoot a lot and know that a lot of fishing stories occure after hunting trips. Your insight is appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your friend is in error.
    cpermd
  • Options
    ClairClair Member Posts: 679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The accuracy at 1100 yds. is possible, if it is a bench gun. My brother-in-law just shot a 6" group (10 shots) at 1000yds. at the long range match in Bodine,Pa. This from a gun that weights 60 lbs., nothing you would want to carry through the woods. Can't imaging how he could determine the distance with any accuracy without a range finder.Don't know about the bullet expansion.
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 700 Nitro express is a big thumper, however it's normaly used to stop elephant charges at VERY close ranges (under 30 yards).
    As far as the 1100 yard thing goes, it can be done (not by me however) with the right equipment/shooter/conditions.
    The guy might have been using a Rem 700 based rifle.
    As far as the lack of expansion goes, if the bullet is traveling slow enough it won't expand. All bullets have a velocity range that they work well inside of, to fast and they over-expand, to slow and they under-expand (or fail to expand completly).

Some guys like a mag full of lead, I still prefer one round to the head.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The range is possible and so is the accuracy. Now that being said, some of the members have already stated that it would only be from a benchrest rifle. Even a 16.5lb class gun can give that accuracy, but a rest and rangefinder must be involved. So would doping the wind and probably firing fouler shots to gain an idea of drift on that particular day and temperature. As far as the non-expansion thing goes, I will have to say something smells,.....and leave it at that.

The nosler BT is designed to expand very well a low velocity. It explodes at high velocity. It is basicaly a long range round, not a short range bullet. Therefore, I can't swallow the in-tact claim, unless he means still retaining the majority of it's original weight, that I CAN beleive.

I'm a man,....but I can change,.....If I have to,......I guess.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I have seen M14's and M1 Garands on target at 1000 yards at Camp Perry; with proper bullet selection even a 30-06 or .308 could drop an Elk at that range, though it certainly wouldn't be the ideal situation. I'm no hunter but if I were hunting at that range, I would probably take a very heavy Barnes X bullet to make sure I got enough penetration. I would also want a cartridge at least of 30-06, preferably more power.

I have been told by one of the other competitive high power shooters at my club that he has shot his M14 at a 1 mile range and held a decent group from prone slowfire, though I certainly wouldn't hunt at that range. I also wonder what sort of 'decent' group he had? All on paper?

"...hit your enemy in the belly, and kick him when he is down, and boil his prisoners in oil- if you take any- and torture his women and children. Then people will keep clear of you..." -Admiral of the Fleet Lord Fisher, speaking at the Hague Peace Conf
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I too can keep "on target" at 1000 yards on a range.
    I will pay $1000 to the first person willing to put up $200 to keep 3 shots in an elk target at approximately that range.
    No rangefinders allowed.
    Challenge made and let your friend step forward.
    cpermd
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Cpermd, you find me a 1000 yard range, I'll hit the elk. Though I ain't gonna bet $200 on it! And I won't guarantee on hitting a vital spot.

"...hit your enemy in the belly, and kick him when he is down, and boil his prisoners in oil- if you take any- and torture his women and children. Then people will keep clear of you..." -Admiral of the Fleet Lord Fisher, speaking at the Hague Peace Conf
  • Options
    82ndrecon82ndrecon Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like a little bit of "I caught a fish thiiissss big" But not entirely impossible. There is also such a thing as luck, although I can not verify such an existence. Does Elk taste good? Like Moose maybe?

Which War?
  • Options
    thebrowncowthebrowncow Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I really appreciate all your input. That why I come to this web site. You all rule. Keep up the good work all. Thanks
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just finished reading "Not War But Murder" a history of the Civil War battle of Cold Harbor. It contained quotes of effective sniping at 1000-1100 yards so it doesnt sound all that far fetched for similar claims made with todays' better equipment.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Come on down to Fort Chaffee.
    Many places to shoot over 1000 yds.
    cpermd