In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Weather Effects on Wood vs. Synthetic?

cwinncwinn Member Posts: 1,223 ✭✭
edited November 2002 in Ask the Experts
Would anyone here be able to tell me how much modern laminate wood stocks (say the one on the Rem 700VLS rifle) are affected by weather conditions as opposed to synthetics, in regards to swelling, durablility, accuracy, and consistency? I love the looks of a nice laminate stock, but i figure if im gonna be shelling out the cash for something it better be effective first and pretty second. Any comments? Thanks

Comments

• Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have read several articles stating that the Epoxy impregnated laminated stocks are stronger than synthetic and I know they are unaffected by weather due to the inherent strength of lamination as well as being sealed by the epoxy. However, synthetic is lighter.

I'm a man,....but I can change,.....If I have to,......I guess.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks JustC
    One question: Are most factory laminate stocks Epoxy impregnated then? Or is this a done only by custom stockmakers?
  • Options
    RusticwaterRusticwater Member Posts: 223 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not knowing what type of duty you'll subject the firearm to, I thought I'd suggest considering the repair/replacement cost too. I agree with you on "effective first and pretty second." I have a firearm (designed for saltwater use) with a synthetic stock and if it were to break the replacement cost is relatively cheap.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That is the resin which is used to laminate and seal all laminated stocks. They are placed in a pressure chanber of some sort (I hope that is the correct wording), anyway, they are placed under pressure, and the epoxy actually impregnates the entire stock. That is what gives it it's strength. If you have been to any new construction sites within the past few years, you will notice that load bearing beams are being made of laminated wood now, due to thier superior strength over a single cut beam from one tree. Not that you wanted to know that

I'm a man,....but I can change,.....If I have to,......I guess.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The laminates used in makeing stocks are all pretty much produced by the same lumber company, thus over the counter stocks like Boyd's (which makes most of the factory laminate, and a lot of the walnut stocks for the manufacturers) are the same as a custom stock maker might use. They are heavier. More to lug on a long day, and a little more recoil damping. I use Boyd's JRS Classic stocks, along with an original Fajen laminate. There is very, very little climate induce change in these stocks as JustC said.
  • Options
    edited November -1