In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

SA 3rd Gen vs. A.R.M.S. M1A Scope Mount

Rifleman.308Rifleman.308 Member Posts: 101 ✭✭
edited November 2002 in Ask the Experts
Well, it finally happened. I've experienced my first setback w/ a SA product in more than a decade of use. While hunting this weekend, my SA 3rd gen scope mount became almost impossible to install, with the free-floating second screw (the one that installs into the new block in the former stripper clip guide location) refusing to tighten to the "locked" position. I cleaned the threads of the mount anchor but saw that the threads on the screw had begun to roll over slightly.
The whole situation had me so put off about my zero that I removed the scope altogether for the first morning. (Remounted it about mid-day and shot 1.5" left of center at 40 yards. Bad news.)

What's the difference between the SA 3rd Gen and the A.R.M.S. mount? I've heard the military is using the latter now. Is this true. Will the A.R.M.S. mount prevent the above-described problem. Does it have the automatic return to zero upon reattachment?

Answers would be appreciated. I'm bumming more than a little right now.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    ItGoBangItGoBang Member Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I asked the same thing a few weeks back. A.R.M.S., I was told, was the best. Last week I went to the range, Temp was 26, When I tried to get my SA mount on.....it started to strip (or roll). I thought it was the temp ; the metal in the mount contracted. I am going to call SA and ask about this. This was a new mount, and I had it on and off a few times, but this was in my home..

It will hurt you, More than it will hurt me..

Life Member... N R A

Thanks for all the help!
  • Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I tried to tell you folks.
    Get a Brookfield,ARMS or Smith.
    SA quality sucks.
    cpermd
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I know..... Sometimes, cpermd.. You just need to kick us in the butt... But it was with the Deal you get with a new SA M1A. I know I will buy an A.R.M.S. now..... Anyone want a SA 3ed gen, CHEAP??????

Life Member... N R A

Thanks for all the help!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Who sells the A.R.M.S. mount for the M1A, CHEAP???

Life Member... N R A

Thanks for all the help!