In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

* scope

ClairClair Member Posts: 679 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 2002 in Ask the Experts
Has anyone had any experience with the J.W. * scope? It looks a lot like a Unertl. Is quality close to Unertl?

Comments

• Options
    ClairClair Member Posts: 679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am looking for some information on a * scope that I've had for years. It's 10 & 1/2 inches long, 3/4 inch diameter. It has a slightly belled eyepiece. Target adjustable mount. It is magnified - I haven't determined how much. It has one horizontal crosshair and a post. On the tube" J.W. * #4401.
  • Options
    HerschelHerschel Member Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 1952 Gun Digest lists both Unertl and * scopes. In similar sized models, the * scopes are priced slightly higher. Unertl scopes were made with objective lenses from 1" to 2". * scopes were 1 1/4" or 1 5/8". The scopes with larger objective lenses and paralax adjustment were priced higher than those without these features. I believe * and Unertl were of similar quality but Unertl stayed in business much longer.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    * was in business from around 1925 until 1961...no idea why they went out of business. These were always considered excellent quality optics and bring good money today.

Mark T. Christian

Edited by - mark christian on 11/26/2002 23:09:32
  • Options
    tradfantradfan Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1