In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Carlos Hathcock's Unertl Scope, which one?

cwinncwinn Member Posts: 1,223 ✭✭
edited November 2002 in Ask the Experts
Does anyone have any idea which model of Unertl scope Carlos Hathcock used on his M70 Winchester in Nam? Im assuming it was either the 2", 1-3/4", 1-1/2", 1-1/4" or 1" Target model. Also, how would these scopes compare to modern day sniperscopes like the Mk 4 Luepold? I notice these still demand a high price (650-900 depending on model) so im assuming they are good quality, but can they compete with todays technology? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    250250 Member Posts: 29 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    In 1966, 67, and again in 69 (whitefeather) used a Winchester model target rifle in 30-06 with an 8X unertl target scope having outside adjustments. The scope was reliable in adjustments and returned to zero. However he did take off the recoil springs, he preferred returning the scope to battery himself (back to same place each time). Scope was zeroed for 700 yards and would hold off for different yardages. Never used a suppressor, the distance was the suppressor. Never used night vision, did use infra-red one night while scanning there was a infra-red looking back at him. He turned it offf quickly. It was an attention getter. Ninety-three confirmed kills. 250
  • Options
    SP45SP45 Member Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 8X Unertl the Marine Corps used is so identified on the scope. The ones I've seen start at about $1,200 and that was a couple of years ago. You can buy a similar scope but without the MC markings on the used market.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think Unertl has recently put out a remake of this scope as a commemorative $$$ item. They have a website.
  • Options
    cwinncwinn Member Posts: 1,223 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys. I visited the website and looked at all the scopes so i just wonder what size scope he used (between 1 and 2 inch)? They have them for sale just like his, but i cant tell from pictures how large it was.