In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

30-06

SeawishSeawish Member Posts: 115 ✭✭
edited November 2002 in Ask the Experts
I am thinking of trading my Remington 742 Woodmaster Semi-auto 30-06 for a Remington 721 Bolt Action, both are in great shape or should I keep looking?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I am new to hunting. I just started this year with a compound bow. I am looking at buying a 30-06 and am wondering if anyone knows any reliable models. I am not trying to spend a lot right now (over $400) but good to learn with. I saw a Mossbewrg and a Remington Model 700. Are these good? Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Is the 30-06 Ackley Improved a good round?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Will this gun handle Elk from 200-300 yards?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'm going to buy a 30-06 semi auto. I just decided that's what I want. In my research I read an article comparing the H & K 2000 to the Remington 7400. For value reliablility etc. In the article it stated that there are only 7 or 8 co.'s manufacturing the 30-06 in semi auto. I only know of three Reminton, Springfield, H & K, (maybe Beretta? Who are the other 4 or 5? And how do they compare to the afore mentioned guns?

Dave
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Now that ive decided on the caliber could someone tell me what they think about the browning bar or a bolt. Any other suggestions out there?

JIM FRICK
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a gun my father game me around 1974. He gave it to me brand new. It is a 30-06 with the name of Firearms International. It only has a serial number and no model number or name. The action sayes it was made in Belgium. Does anyone have any info on this gun at all as worth. But I will take any info someone can give me or direct me to.
    It is a bolt action and in very good shape. I have had gun shaps on the stock for years. And as I said there is no model # or name on it anywhere.
  • Options
    nelchrisnelchris Member Posts: 557 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    browning bar 30-06 around 500 new or go for a older ones made in belg. very nice about the same money
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I know this wasn't in your choice list, but it is very hard to do better than an M1 Garand if you don't have one.

"...hit your enemy in the belly, and kick him when he is down, and boil his prisoners in oil- if you take any- and torture his women and children. Then people will keep clear of you..." -Admiral of the Fleet Lord Fisher, speaking at the Hague Peace Conf
  • Options
    greeker375greeker375 Member Posts: 3,644
    edited November -1
    I've owned a Browning semi-auto in .338 and it was an excellent gun,but, got rid of it as it was not as satisfying to me as a bolt action. My recommendation would be to get a good bolt action, as in some of the eastern states you can't use a semi for hunting.
    But, if you gotta...go with the Browning. It will serve you well for centuries!