In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

How to get the front site off-Part two

queeksdrawqueeksdraw Member Posts: 274 ✭✭✭
edited November 2002 in Ask the Experts
I'm trying to sporterize an old Mossine Nagant(sp)and the front site is welded on. I think it may also be the bayonet lug,it is a compleate ring around the bbl. I was afraid to heat it but that may be the answer. I have stopped this project and have not seen the gun in a year because of this obsticle, but the other post brought it to mind. I also thought maybe it would have to be turned on a lathe, any body like to venture an oppinion?(I mean on how to get it off,I can already guess some of the oppinions), I'v got a few bucks in the stock and the turned down bolt but the darned thing looks ridiculous with that thing on the bbl.It would be nice to be able to shoot it.
Thanks in advance for any sugestions.

Comments

• Options
    Der GebirgsjagerDer Gebirgsjager Member Posts: 1,673 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like you have an M-44 carbine that once had a folding bayonet along the right side? Yes, these are very difficult to remove. There are two pins, usually on the right side, that pass through half-round slots cut into the exterior of the barrel. The slots are invisible until you get the ring off, but if you look at it carefully you should be able to see the ends of the pins. The pins are such a tight fit that you can expect to bend or break a punch in their removal. Secure the barrel in a good vise and hammer the pins out, then apply heat evenly the full length of the ring and all around it. You will have to get it red hot and tap the hinge for the bayonet and the rear of the front sight until you can get it to move forward toward the muzzle a little, then use a punch with sharp edges to tap it forward from where it begins to separate away from the shoulder cut into the barrel against which it rests. This is a 3-handed job, and if you can get someone to assist you by either keeping the heat on the part or doing the tapping the job will be easier. After you get it off you still won't have anything to be too proud of, because you'll have that shoulder and the pin slots. If you know what you're doing and work carefully you can drawfile the shoulder out and blend it into the contour of the barrel; and if you have a friend with a TIG or MIG welder you should be able to fill the slots in without adversely effecting the barrel.
  • Options
    queeksdrawqueeksdraw Member Posts: 274 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sir
    Thank you so kindly for the reply. And apparently then this much heat will not harm the bbl to the point that it would not fire period ammo safely? I'll dig that gun out and give it a try.Thanks again.
  • Options
    Der GebirgsjagerDer Gebirgsjager Member Posts: 1,673 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    No--if you work quickly and deftly you can get away with quite a bit of heat before the barrel warps. Just don't take the whole afternoon to do it! As for the pin slots in the barrel, MIG or TIG is more "spot on" than is oxy-acetylene, and you can weld the slots in without damage to the rest of the barrel.