In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Colt Diamondback .22 LR

greeker375greeker375 Member Posts: 3,644
edited November 2002 in Ask the Experts
I went to an estate sale recently and bought a Colt Diamondback, .22 LR cal, w/ 4" barrel. I got a call from the lady a few days later asking me to come pick up some "accessories". What i got was an old cleaning kit AND an extra cylinder in .22 MAG. Did this come from colts factory or done by a g'smith? Any ideas as to what its' worth and if it would be of interest to anyone? Condition is very damn good and has pachmyr grips.
Thanks
Mike

Comments

• Options
    DarrellDarrell Member Posts: 733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you paid under $500 or so you done good. A FEW were made with the extra cyl..very few. I'm not sure of the number but when they came out I tried to get one and never did. You are a lucky guy. Take good care of it.
  • Options
    JudgeColtJudgeColt Member Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am skeptical that any Diamondbacks were ever sold in .22WMR though the chambering was announced when the revolver came out. I think it may have been the intention to offer the Diamondback in .22WMR, so the chambering was put into the catalog. Like the Python, which was also cataloged in .22WMR, I do not believe any ever made it into regular production. (I have a Python and Single Action brochure announcing both in .256 Winchester Magnum, but none ever made it into regular produciton. If any were made, they have to be factory experimental and extremely rare and valuable.)

No .22WMR auxiliary cylinders or barrels are shown in any catalog or parts list.

If some gunsmith rechambered a .22LR Diamondback cylinder to .22WMR, that would present an interesting problem because the bore diameter is too small for the .22WMR bullets, and pressures would be elevated, perhaps to dangerous levels. As evidenced by how often this question comes up, many people apparently do not realize the difference in bore diameter.

I would be curious about the bore diameter on this Diamondback. A .22LR bore should be .222", whereas the .22WMR bore should be .224". Does the barrel chambering stamp say .22WMR (or .22 Mag., a misnomer as the .22 Jet is the real .22 Magnum) or .22LR? All convertable revolvers are marked as .22WMR or .22WMR/.22LR because it is safe to fire a .222" bullet down a .224" bore, but not the reverse.

What chambering marking is on the barrel of this revolver? Is the .22WMR cylinder stamped with ".22WMR?" Is the .22LR cylinder marked ".22LR?" Any convertable .22 rimfire revolver I have ever seen always has the cylinders marked with the chambering.

While I do not like to estimate value, a .22 Diamondback without its original stocks would be worth substantially less than an original gun. If you have a factory .22WRM Diamondback convertable, the value would be substantial. Otherwise, you have a ruined extra cylinder that I would be afraid to sell to anyone for fear that they would blow something up, most likely a cartridge rim.

If you have a real factory .22WMR Diamondback, I would be interested. If you do, please contact me at

judgecolt45@hotmail.com

I am anxious to learn more about this revolver, particularly the markings. Please either post them or contact me. Thank you.
  • Options
    BlokeyBlokey Member Posts: 284 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you suspect that the extra cylinder may be an orginal Colt item, you may want to contact Colt and get the truth, straight from the horse's mouth, as it were.
    If you have a factory documented piece, you definitely have a keeper.
  • Options
    JudgeColtJudgeColt Member Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The plot thickens! I had overlooked a 1969 parts catalog. The Diamondback listing DOES show .22WMR in both a cylinder and barrel in that catalog!

Again, PLEASE post or e-mail me the barrel markings, and any cylinder markings on this revolver. If the barrel is marked with something other than just .22LR, this may a real .22WMR. It would then be worth a $100 factory letter to verify.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Attn:Judgecolt

check your e-mail

Greeker
  • Options
    DarrellDarrell Member Posts: 733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I recall a little gun shop in Ft. Pierre SD that had one and I almost bought it, but instead bought a Colt Officers Model target gun
    in .22 Magnum. Not many of those made either. I paid $125 for it because nobody wanted it in that caliber. I traded it off for a M-1 carbine. I thought I done good.
  • Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    I remember seeing a new 4" with both cylinders in Decatur, AL back in the days when they were being made. I wish I had a magnum cylinder for my 6". I know that Colt in their usual wisdom rifled the barrel for the magnum round. I like my gun, but it is not that accurate because of the way it is rifled.
  • Options
    BarrockyBarrocky Member Posts: 74 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The "blue book" says they were made in limited numbers in .22 WMR,I've never seen one. The other day I saw a set of grips on a Diamondback that I've never seen either. They were sort of a cross between a service type grip and the usual target style that all Diamondbacks I've seen usually have on them. The dealer said he was told that Colt put this style stock on a few Diamondbacks.I was skeptical at first,but on closer examination it sure looked like these were factory made grips.I haven't been able to find any pictures of a Diamondback with this stle stocks in any of my books or old magazines. Do these ring any bells with anyone?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Point of Information

Per a conversation with Judgecolt I informed him that the markings on the barrel were .22 LR. Further, I had 2 different cranes, one with the .22 LR cylinder with the same SN as is on the revolver and a second crane holding the .22 Mag cylinder with a different SN. Insofar as accuracy, both shoot very well, with no signs of excessive pressure exhibited on shell casings.

Further, I have no way of determining the bore diameter.

Judgecolt believes it is not a factory product, rather, the result of an imaginative owner and a competent gunsmith.

Anything to ad or did I forget anything Judgecolt?

I guess all your input has helped me with my question. Thank you all for your responses, I feel extremely lucky to have found this msg board.

Greeker375