In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

45 ACP--two questions

skymanskyman Member Posts: 247 ✭✭✭
edited October 2003 in Ask the Experts
1) in all the discussions for the past few months on 45's, whay has there been no plugs for the para tac four--very nice fire arm with awsome trigger pull.

2) Need some education on ammo, what is the difference between a low grain round and a high grain round?

Currently I use 230 grain JHP in my 45, FMJ in my 40 and glasers in my 380. For personal defense what is the best grain ammo to carry???

Thanks,
Skyman

Comments

• Options
    kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by skyman
    1) in all the discussions for the past few months on 45's, whay has there been no plugs for the para tac four--very nice fire arm with awsome trigger pull.

2) Need some education on ammo, what is the difference between a low grain round and a high grain round?

Currently I use 230 grain JHP in my 45, FMJ in my 40 and glasers in my 380. For personal defense what is the best grain ammo to carry???

Thanks,
    Skyman

1) Because it is still rather new, as more people get them you'll see more plugs.

2) I'm not familiar with that reference, but it is probably referring to the weight of the bullet. 45ACP bullets usually range from 165 to 230 grains (7000 grains=1 pound).

The best weight ammo to carry is the one that you can hit your target with.

Love them Beavers
    orst-title-1.gif

SUPPORT THE I.N.S. , THE COUNTRY THEY SAVE COULD BE YOUR OWN
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Skyman,,,, I agree with Joey. The reference to high and low grain is likely a reference to bullet weight even though the powder charge is also measured in grains.

Assuming you can hit the target, the heavier expanding bullets are best for defense. The heavier weight bullets tend to penetrate deeper, thus reaching vital organs. The expansion feature helps to produce more trauma and deliver all the energy into the target by keeping to bullet from passing through.