In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.36 BP Grains

njretcopnjretcop Member Posts: 7,975
edited October 2003 in Ask the Experts
I'm confused, (so, what's new about that). The owners manuel that came with my BP pistol states that the grains tolerance for my gun is 9-12. The powder horn that came with it is 15 grains.

The cylinder on my gun is long. Even 15 grains of powder with the round ball leave about half of the space empty. What do you recommend to fill the rest of the space? I have heard everything from wads to cereal..

Thank you for your comments...

Blue_car.gif

Charlie

"It's the stuff dreams are made of Angel"NRA Certified Firearms InstructorMember: GOA, RKBA, NJSPBA, NJ area rep for the 2ndAMPD. njretcop@copmail.com

Comments

• Options
    jjmitchell60jjmitchell60 Member Posts: 3,887
    edited November -1
    You do not have to fill the space BUT if the bullet is even with the end of the cylinder you will see a noticable improvement in accuracy. Mind now you want the bullet even but not sticking out so as the cylinder will not index! On my 44 Remington I use 30 grains of FFF, 1 wonder wad, and 5+ grains of cream of wheat as a filler depending on what type of bullet I use. I know you are going to get several people saying that the filler is not needed but at a 4-H BP certification class I proved that it does help with accuracy. You should play around with the powder grainage as well. 15 grains is not too much for the 36 but it might not be the most accurate load. Once you get the load down then play around with some cream of wheat or grits as a filler to see how it affects the accuracy. Just my opinion and what works for me.

God protect me from my friends, I can take care of my enemies...