In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

IS THIS CORROSIVE?

Bushnell BoyBushnell Boy Member Posts: 247 ✭✭✭
edited October 2003 in Ask the Experts
I got a new norinko sks in a trade last week and the guy threw in 400 rounds of ammo in the deal. The rounds are in a white box. the box says Cal. 7.62x39 FMJ 122 grain made in Romania. All writing is in red and has a red square around info. Is this ammo corrosive or non corrosive. Rim of shell says 324 on one side and 94 on the other. shells are green with red on the primer and where bullet meets the shell.

In the time of chimpanzees I was a monkey

-Beck (1993)

Comments

• Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    BB....... They are probably not corrosive. I believe the 324 is the factory number and 94 the year of manufacture.

In recent years the Romanian and Russian AK & SKS ammo has been non-corrosive. With the green cases they are almost certainly non-corr.
    The red on the primer and around the base of the bullet is a sealant to keep out moisture.

With the markings you mention, they sound like steel cases and berdan primed rounds.

Joe
  • Options
    Bushnell BoyBushnell Boy Member Posts: 247 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    thanks for the info. Is there a way to double check once I have fired it.

In the time of chimpanzees I was a monkey

-Beck (1993)
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    BB.....Iam 95% sure it is not corr but, One way to not have any worry is to go out for a days shooting and shoot up all 400 rnds of it. When you get home, scrub the bore and gas system with warm soapy water, then get some GI bore cleaner in the little green cans. This stuff is real good for corr ammo.

After cleaning put a light coat of oil on the gas piston,and run an oiled patch thru the barrel.

After a day or two check the guns bore. make sure it is still shiny.
    Guns shows are selling "Wolf" russian 7.62X39 for about $85.00 per thousand rnd case. The current ammo in this caliber is all non-corr.

Happy shootin
  • Options
    joeaf1911a1joeaf1911a1 Member Posts: 2,962 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just know you are going to shoot this new rifle. When done
    enjoying shooting it, have one cartridge with the bullet pulled
    and the powder dumped out. Load it singly and fire the primer at a
    clean piece steel (not stainless steel or galv) at about 6" distance.
    Bring the steel plate back home and wait a couple of days. If
    corrosive, the spot on the plate will rust or corrode. Some forign
    ammo is supposed to be "mildly corrosive?". Seems to me like that is
    like being "a litle bit pregnant". Till you know for certain, clean
    the rifle like it is corrosive ammo. Just like Laredo Lefty posted.