In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Colt 1911 help

bigdog1bigdog1 Member Posts: 193 ✭✭
edited October 2003 in Ask the Experts
I just purchased an all-steel Colt Combat Commander. The serial number begins with 80BS13xxx, but there are no series 80 parts inside. Is this some sort of "transition " model? I was under the impression that all of the 70 series had a "70" prefix for the serial???? The gun is really in excellent condition. What should I have paid for this one in a private sale. As always, your help and greater knowledge is appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    hunter7737hunter7737 Member Posts: 205 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bigdog, your Combat Commander was made in the early 80s. The series 70s were made until 1983. In 1980 Colt changed the serial number prefix from 70BS to 80BS on the blue model Combat Commanders. The 70 series Colt Commander had a CLW prefix (no 70 in serial number). Early series 70 Government Models had a SM prefix with no 70 and most of the Ace Service Models made in the 70s had the SM prefix. In my area (Houston) your gun in original excellant condition would sell for $600 to $700.
  • Options
    jsergovicjsergovic Member Posts: 5,526
    edited November -1
    I've seen some in 85% (worn, scratched, looks like they were dragged behind the truck) go for $525, and excellent ones close to $800.
    They seem to hold their value here; perhaps because you can't import them from neighboring states unless you are moving here and establishing residency.
  • Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,694 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    jsergovic, is that true of most guns coming into CA, or just certian ones? (allowed in if establishing residency)
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Options
    jsergovicjsergovic Member Posts: 5,526
    edited November -1
    You can bring in handguns when establishing residency as a "personal firearms importer", or some phrase close to that (this info courtesy of Mark C., of whom we've had no contributions recently).

An N.A.A. Black Widow (22 mag 5-shot), which a former LEO friend wants, has not been submitted to CDOJ (with the application fee of $3-4K for safety testing), so he can't receive one for personal use through his FFL. If I buy one while a resident of PA, more here, and establish residency, I can sell him my copy.

You cannot possess "assault weapons" of any kind, less circumstances which I have not explored (don't need a Tec-9 for home defense). The State firearms law from the NRA site: http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws.asp?FormMode=Detail&R=CA

There are currently 852 individual models an FFL in CA can allow a private individual to register as a new purchase in-state or receive, new or used, from out-of-state, excepting dealer inventory of a model on the list and later removed or similar circumstances.

Here's the Roster of Handguns Certified for Sale:
    http://justice.doj.ca.gov/safeguns/safeguns_new.taf
    READ IT AND WEEP!
    It is interesting to note which manufacturers make sure their handguns are well-represented. Colt has only seven handguns on the list.