In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Question for Suppressor Owners???

Spring CreekSpring Creek Member Posts: 1,260
edited October 2003 in Ask the Experts
I'm always concerned that my "Registered" suppressors will come lose and cause a "problem".
What would be wrong with using "Teflon" tape on the threads of the
barrel to increase tightness of suppressor to barrel fit?
Anybody have any ideas on this.
I sure don't want to use any "lock tight" type material.
Of course on my Uzi there's no problem with the "ratchet" device to keep suppressor from coming lose.
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    That'd probably work, Loctite also makes a pipefitting liquid that'd work well too. Not frowning on Teflon tape, I just hate that stuff[:D]

Love them Beavers
    orst-title-1.gif

SUPPORT THE I.N.S. , THE COUNTRY THEY SAVE COULD BE YOUR OWN
  • Options
    madmarc0madmarc0 Member Posts: 862 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When you screw the supressor to the barrel there should be a little shoulder there that it butts up against.
    Mine seems to lock up pretty good when it is tightened up against it.

You should be able to use the tape with no problems, just keep it away from the shoulder.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my gun has!
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    Get yourself a lockwasher or simply a round piece of thick rubber to screw into. Don't goo things up with locktite or teflon tape (are you a plumber?).

A man who starts imagining that others think good because he does is simply out of his mind
    It behooves one to be wary when among strangers and not to trust too much L'Amour
  • Options
    HappyNanoqHappyNanoq Member Posts: 12,023
    edited November -1
    I wouldn't recommend it.

You would probably notice, that Teflon is an excellent "lubricant", I'd be more concerned about using Teflon than Loc-Tite.

Teflon is a material that deforms and doesn't do well with vibrations - also threads on pipes doesn't stay air-tight, if you "back up" on Teflon.
    I.E.. when Teflon is wrapped onto the thread and the fitting is mounted - do not loosen the fitting from the pipe - because then it is no good anymore.

Teflon is not recommended, because when it is first mounted - and come loose, you'd find out that the silencer might be easier to take off - than it was putting on, because the Teflon is deformed and because Teflon also acts as "lubricant" between two metal parts.

I'd use a low strength type of LocTite, like the LocTite 222 - you can easily disassemble it, as it doesn't glue everything together.

!!!
    If you use anything on the thread - ALWAYS look THROUGH the barrel, to see if the projectile would come into contact with the inner parts/baffel-plates of the supressor.
    !!!

Happy hunting.. practising. =o)

Don't do anything that I've allready done - That'd be just plain STOOOOOOPID.
  • Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,442 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    mm brings up an important point. What holds that supressor in alignment is the face to face fit between the shoulder and end of supressor. Threads are a poor way to align. HN is also correct in that there are many vers. of locktite. That would be my choice. On the other hand, I've never had mine loosen. It's on only a 22LR though.

cbxjeffIt's too late for me, save yourself.
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    DiabloDiablo Member Posts: 251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A washer like the one used inside the end of a garden hose may work.

I usually keep a hand on the suppressor
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Hope yer wearin' gloves! My can heats right up!

As far as it "coming loose" and causing a problem; are you using Gemtech, Psionics, Armi,Ciener or another "brand name" suppressor, or are you using something "else"?

If you know it all; you must have been listening.WEAR EAR PROTECTION!
  • Options
    Spring CreekSpring Creek Member Posts: 1,260
    edited November -1
    All six are Gemtech.
    And actually, I doubt there will ever be a problem as I check them quite regularly while shooting.
    But, I just like to be on the safe side!
    As I say, the "ratchet" lock on the UZI SMG Suppressor is not a problem.
    2- 22LR Outback and SeaHunter
    2- 9mm both Vortex, I with LID
    1- 223 for AC556
    1- 9mm Mousaad for UZI SMG