In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

WW2 MP-40

buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2003 in Ask the Experts
How do you make a WW-2 MP-40 legal if the old veteran who brought it back has passed away?From what I understand he brought it back and put it in the closet and it has been there since.People that have saw it say it is excellant condition and Nazi marked. Too much history to be destroyed for being class3.

Comments

• Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    Afraid you have not much option. Donate it to the ATF(or others) or cut up the receiver. I would cut the receiver asap! This is dependent on it not being registered. If the guy registered it in the amnesty in '68, it's in his estate.

A man who starts imagining that others think good because he does is simply out of his mind
    It behooves one to be wary when among strangers and not to trust too much L'Amour
  • Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,694 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think I'd somehow try to give it to a museum if that is legal if it isn't registered. That way at least people can enjoy looking at it even if we can't shoot it.
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    skyking is correct; simple possession of an unregistered machine gun can get you 5 years in federal prison.

There are no options here. There's no "Well, you can call a museum.", and there's no "Well, maybe I can register it." IT'S CONTRABAND. It must either be destroyed or turned over to law enforcement. Period.

Neal
  • Options
    kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    An article in last sundays paper, down in Wichita Kansas, some guy was busted for some type of weapons charges ... when they raided him he had 6 pristine WWII class III weapons ... I think he claimed they were registered but couldn't come up with tax stamps ... anyway, the BTAFE has said they were going to destroy them; a couple state museums have been fighting to stop them (the BTAFE) because of the historical significance ... but I think they've lost.

Its too bad they couldn't be turned over to local law authorities and "stored" at a museum.

===========================
    Chance favors the prepared mind [8D]

kimberkid@cox.net
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • Options
    hawkeye6020hawkeye6020 Member Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the guy kimberkid is talking about got a $7000 fine and three years probation as well as not ever being able to legally own a firearm again. He had over 300 guns 66 of them were full auto. over 100,000 rounds of ammo as well. shame that the had to destroy the WWII gun though.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    hawkeye6020, thanks for all the details!

My wife was telling me about it and I was going to read the article but didn't get around to it ... then she recycled the papers ... [:(]

kimberkid@cox.net
  • Options
    brechtbrecht Member Posts: 305 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd get one of those airtight containers and burry the thing in the woods if you can't legalize it.

in a world full of compromise some don't
  • Options
    leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My opinion is this...

Don't let that relic of history be destroyed by some stupid law. Keep it well preserved and cleaned. And don't tell anyone you have it. Don't show it off, and if anyone asks say that it is a "dummy" gun or "model". Keep it locked away in a secure place, and hope that this stupid anti-gun hippie craze blows over.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by leeblackman
    and hope that this stupid anti-gun hippie craze blows over.Well this "anti-gun hippie craze" has only been gaining momentum since what ... 1932? Then another big boost in 1968 ... another kick in 1986, a serious Presidential X.O. in 1989 ... new legislation again in 1994, more Presidential X.O.'s in 1997 and in 2000 a Republican Presedential Candidate that says he's in favor of the current ban ... AND he got elected!

I seriously doubt that we'll see it "blow over" anytime soon, probably not even in our life time.

As for those that would tell you to hide it, remember; one little slip up ... someone digs where they shouldn't, your house gets robbed and the cops want to look in your safe ... a million different things and ... any one of which and you'll find yourself doing serious time, paying fines and have lost your 2A rights ... along with whatever "history" you are protecting ... Then there is the effect if could have on your family and financial future.

If you want to fight the system, you'll have to play by their rules because as it stands now, its their game.

kimberkid@cox.net
  • Options
    leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You know there are a few people in this world who think that if they are 100% lawful citzen's and follow the rules nothing bad will happen to them. I hate to bust your bubble, but all it takes is the neighbors underage daughter getting knocked up by her boyfriend, and blaming it on you and you've got 30years in the slammer. Think it can't happen, I've seen it. There's an inmate in my jail right now who's desperately fighting with an appeal over that exact same situation. Even with DNA evidence proving that he was not the father, and a letter from the now 20 something year old woman retracting her prior statement, he's still there, sitting in that orange jumper.

You break laws everyday without even knowing it. You can't drive two miles in your car without commiting an arrestable offense that can possibly risk your family and your financial future.

The pendulum will continue to swing. And an original WW2 MP40 is not a replaceable relic. I honestly think that it belongs under the care of a museum, but I would almost guarantee that it would be destroyed before it ever made it there. Which is sad. It shows how our society cares for history.

Is it worth risking to protect such a relic? My OPINION is yes, yours is no.

I'm not stupid, and I do understand the law fairly well. I was in fact just expressing my opinion, and though it may seem extreme to you, you would be supprised how many agree but choose to keep their mouths shut in fear of the bashing they may recieve.
  • Options
    HangfireHangfire Member Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most local LawEnforcement Agencys have some type of Museum.Turning in the contraband firearm to them will most likley prevent its destruction.

Gun control is a steady hand