In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Why do people delete last serial #'s (eg: B1125XX)

jsergovicjsergovic Member Posts: 5,526
edited October 2003 in Ask the Experts
I see the last couple numbers usually left out, and replaced with "X's".

I have done it also, but what's the big deal?

Jim

Comments

• Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    WE ONLY GET ASKED THIS ABOUT ONCE A WEEK. FOR YOUR OWN SECURITY.

I WOULD RATHER BE DUCK HUNTING.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by duckhunter

I THOUGHT IT MIGHT WORK OUT WELL AS A DAILY TOPIC.

flagwave1.gif
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by duckhunter

And every week when this same question gets asked and someone replies with the answer you gave, I will say BULLCRAP!.

There is absolutely NO security problem with posting a complete serial number for a firearm on an internet forum board... NONE, NADA, ZILCH, ZERO!!! And to anyone who believes that some crook, criminal, or dishonest person can claim it is stolen from him/her, you aren't living in the real world[:(!]. It can not be used to track you down and gain personal information such as a SSN or Credit card number, or address, or anything else either (there is one fellow {a former police officer I believe} on this forum that mistakenly believes it can happen though, so for him here... Winchester Model 1885 single-shot, serial number 114492. Now tell me what that gets you[?]).

Bert H.

Real Men use a SINGLE-SHOT!
  • Options
    PrebanpartsPrebanparts Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It gives Ashcroft's Stormtoppers information they just dont need..plain and simple..
  • Options
    applegroveapplegrove Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I thought Ashcroft was on our side. Did'nt we vote Reno's stormtroopers out and Bush in? Prebanparts, is it this government you dislike or any government? I know this is a little off topic but...paranoia is not healthy.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Jim, you asked a serious question, & you deserve a serious answer. Yes, it has been discussed before, but not recently, & answering you is not a big deal.

I have been able to identify 3 reasons why folks X-out a few digits of the serial:

1. Paranoia - they fear that the federal government might build a data base of guns & gun owners. (Trust me, the fed govt has a difficult enough time now keeping track of the limited data that they have.)

2. Possible stolen gun - unless you bought your gun new, there is the possibility that it was stolen at one time in its life; if a previous owner reported it stolen, & can document its legal ownership, it CAN be seized from you without compensation.

3. Sheep syndrome - everyone else does it, so there must be a good reason for me to do it.

Neal
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    youd be surprised how many super computers are running 24/7 designed to cue in on hot numbers. go ahead and put a full number on the web and congrats folks, you just registered your gun. class 3 dealers will know what i mean! so...anyone out there that moved recently and didnt tell the receiving state ...ding!, "you got guns!," you just did! why do you think they made it law recently that all gunsmiths must register the gun serial number when it comes in for a repair? its just another way to comb the field for guns un-registered, and or, linking unqualitfied humans with guns. does anyone have any idea how many convicted dui's or felons still have their daddy's gun passed down to them? HECK, TOUCH YOUR WIFE WRONG, GET BOOKED, AND YOU CANT OWN THEM ANYMORE IN SOME STATES! so go ahead. that aint paranoia, thats just smart gun ownership!

former air operations officer SEAL Delivery Vehicle Team 2. former navy skeet team, navy rifle/pistol team member. co-owner skeetmaster tubes inc.. owner/operator professional shooting instruction.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ADDENDUM TO ALL THE HELPFUL INFO (THANKS, NEAL).

CDOJ requires all private party sales to be conducted at an FFL. The handgun, shotgun, or rifle is held for ten days, a D.R.O.S. is completed, and if you are not found to be legally unable to own firearms, you get your gun.

The CDOJ does not check serials for stolen guns. They do not like PPT's because the transfered firearm is not verifiably ...not stolen. (Guess they only want to see new guns sold, from FFL's).

CDOJ "Police departments, at their discretion, batch run serials periodically, looking for stolen guns." This could not be confirmed by a former 40 year LEO.

CDOJ has a "Report of Handgun Ownership" form for new residents. It cost $14 per gun. This gives them your serial number, and if it is stolen and recovered, it goes back to you.

Registration is not apparently required, as I understand it from reading the state Gun Laws.

I have been advised not to register firearms (in the event firearms become illegal to own in California, I'd still have something with which to protect my wife).

Jim

flagwave1.gif
  • Options
    fergusonmorse392fergusonmorse392 Member Posts: 432 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I as a seller feel that its nobodys business but the new owner & his FFL. Just my 2 cents.
  • Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    TROLLING SURE IS FUN AND GUESS WHO YOU CATCH FIRST??

• Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    not to scare anyone but you have to really be careful what you post on the web. like even here...its not just for good guys. bad guys could be asking all about YOUR gun and get you to say...yeah...i got 100 guns in my celler....just to come visit you some night when youre out bowling. think about it. you tell em my m-41 serial number is not registered because 'i dont want theose d... batf guys knowing'...and he runs your email, finds where you live, and helps himself to your guns....by serial number! takes all the good ones and leave s you your stevens crackshot 12 ga! think. i talk guns, but my guns are 500 miles away from me. all theyd get here is attic junk and empty alumnium cans...! now you know why im posted in from bangladesh!
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'll drop one more in here before the Cap'tn shuts us down ...

Duck, I agree. God forbid I buy a gun through PPT, post the number, and some, somewhere, has a valid claim on it. 200,000 handguns get stolen a year.

Someone also could lie on a police report, with a number of a gun they wanted and know was transfered through PPT enough times to make the current owner unsure of legal status (and willing to forfeit without a fight) when the police come knocking. This would take a lot of nerve, admittedly, but can be done (not very often).

HOWEVER, THE NUMBER OF PEOPLE READING THIS POST INDICATE TO ME THE QUESTION HAS NOT BEEN OFTEN COVERED RECENTLY. I REMEMBER NO MENTION SINCE I STARTED POSTING. AS NEAL STATED SO SUCCINCTLY, ALL I WANTED WAS A SERIOUS ANSWER.