In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Barrel Life Of A 10-22

ryan_marineryan_marine Member Posts: 635
edited October 2003 in Ask the Experts
How many rounds can be shot out of a ruger factory barrel before it is shot out? Also how many before a Butler Creek target barrel is worn out? I shoot copper plated bullets (federal high velocity bulk ammo) and only shoot 10 rounds before stopping to reload.

Thanks

Ray

More Powder, More Lead, More Dead

Comments

• Options
    BOBBYWINSBOBBYWINS Member Posts: 7,810
    edited November -1
    I didn't know you could shoot one out.

BW

IT'S WHAT PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT THEMSELVES THAT MAKES THEM AFRAID.
  • Options
    shootlowshootlow Member Posts: 5,425
    edited November -1
    i have over 70,000 rounds thru one
    i agree with BOBBYWINS i dont think you can shoot one out
    just give it a good scrubbing if it hes lost any thing
    i shoot AGUILA HV or PMC ZAPPERS

Lt.RRG

c.gif
    "Go over,go under,go around,or go through.But never give up."
  • Options
    R-C-NOR-C-NO Member Posts: 93 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well with the factory bbl I put 1000's apon 1000's of rounds through it
    shooting at golf balls at 100 yards and never shot it out. then put a BC
    bbl on it and that was 6 years ago.I'm still hitting golf balls at 100 yards with it. Hope that gives you some idea. O I shot the same bulk ammo as you.
  • Options
    leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't think I've ever had a .22lr barrel wear out. Is it even possible? I think the chances of one rusting out are alot greater.
  • Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,694 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've got a stainless standard weight 10/22 and have shot over 100,000 rounds through it, maybe 1/4 of those were 50 round clips and just "flinging lead". My group at 100 yards used to be 2-2.5" with relatively cheap ammo. Now, my groups are more like 3.5". So, they do change the accuracy of them over time. That said, aftermarket barrels are relatively cheap and if you keep your eyes open you can buy new "take off" barrels for under $30 that'll get it shooting better again.
    Kingjoey and I were talking about it and he said my chamber on that old barrel should accept a .22 mag shell by now. [:D]
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Bambihunter-do you ever strip the lead out of the barrel when you clean it?
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have to echo what everyone else said. I dont think you can shoot them out.

I have three 10-22's, one I shoot much more than the others. It has thousands and thousands of rounds thru it, and it is still going strong. I have been blasting bunnies with it for 20 yrs.

Joe

"Never let school interfere with your education"
  • Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,694 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    lee, yes I do... However, I've been cleaning from the muzzle and I wondered if that might have been a little bit of it. I have thought about getting a cleaning hole drilled in the back of the receiver so that it can be cleaned from the breech.
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    It's almost impossible to shoot a rimfire barrel enough to affect the rifling unless you roll the bullets in fine sand prior to each shot.

BH- cleaning from the muzzle; no matter how carefully it is done, will eventually screw up the crown of the muzzle. There's almost no way to avoid damage to the rifling doing it that way, even with a Delrin muzzle protector/bore guide. Since I have bedded all of the actions on my 10-22's, I don't like taking them out of the stock unless absolutely necessary. I figured out a way to clean from the breech, though; I relieved the stock where the front of the action bolts to the stock, and just take the barrel off when it's time to clean-the forend looks a little funny, but not as funny as a receiver with a hole in it. It goes back in and holds a zero very well.

If you know it all; you must have been listening.WEAR EAR PROTECTION!
  • Options
    ryan_marineryan_marine Member Posts: 635
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info. I just wanted to know. I shoot about 2,000 rounds between the two a week.

Thanks

Ray

More Powder, More Lead, More Dead
  • Options
    edited November -1
    You know, I'm pretty * about cleaning, and usually clean from the front on most of my guns because thats the only way possible. I have often worried about it, but haven't yet had any noticeable problems.
  • Options
    fergusonmorse392fergusonmorse392 Member Posts: 432 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Shoot out a modern 22LR barrel with modern ammo is about like the shelf-life of a twinkie no body knows. Today the most dammage is done by improper cleaning(banging up the crown with a cleaning rod)
    In the old days corrosive ammo & lack of cleaning did in most barrels not shooting them.
  • Options
    KdubKdub Member Posts: 713 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a couple .22 rifles made back at the turn of the 20th Century and they are still as strong as ever.

With plated or lubed .22 bullets, you can't wear the barrel out with the bullets alone. Now, you get some grit or metal shavings in the bore and shoot - sure, you'll wear the bore down.

More damage is done to .22 LR barrels by improper cleaning than shooting ever will. For the most part, all you have to do is remove enough of the fouling, splashing or built-up excess bullet lube to clear the action and bore for more shooting. Steel or brass brushes do nothing but wear the bore needlessly. Bore solvent and a nylon brush is all that's required - AND FROM THE BREECH END! Unless you use a fiberglass rod with a nylon jag or eye patch holder, you're causing damage to the crown and bore by cleaning from the muzzle. It's not a great trick to recrown a muzzle - www.brownells.com sells the recrowning tools that a generally competent firearms owner can use, or the cost is minimal at the gunsmith's.

You'll find most target shooters don't clean their .22 LR firearms until they become so clogged the action is slow to function. Then, a couple of passes with a solvent soaked cloth and one or two down the bore and they call it good.

I'm * about gun cleaning, myself - however, I've learned to do no more that necessary on the rimfires.

Keep off the Ridgeline
  • Options
    rldowns3rldowns3 Member Posts: 6,096
    edited November -1
    Ruger 10/22 barrel life = forever it seems.

annoyaliberal.jpgnotmyfault.gif
  • Options
    kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    22's just don't have the huge volumes of powder eroding chambers, high velocities, or hard jackets. A 22 barrel can be shot out, but it takes a LOT of shots. It'd be like taking chrome off a bumper with a greased rag, you could do it, but it'd take a long, long, long time.

Love them Beavers
    orst-title-1.gif

SUPPORT THE I.N.S. , THE COUNTRY THEY SAVE COULD BE YOUR OWN
  • Options
    kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    PS: Bambihunter, I said it'd take a .223[:D] Maybe you could convert it to take an AR mag....a little rechambering.....Nahhhh[;)]

Love them Beavers
    orst-title-1.gif

SUPPORT THE I.N.S. , THE COUNTRY THEY SAVE COULD BE YOUR OWN