In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

From Afghanistan how do you rate the Beretta 9000

GunHawkeGunHawke Member Posts: 576 ✭✭✭
edited November 2003 in Ask the Experts
Hello Everyone.....!

My son is on his 2nd tour in Kandahar and, regardless of differing opinions, he has always liked his Beretta 9mm as issued. Knowing his old man has an FFL, he wrote to me about the possibilities of getting a Beretta 9000. He also asked me what I knew about it.

Well, other than pictures, I've never seen or touched one. Can I enlist your help and input about your rating and/or experience with the 9000 and whether or not you'd recommend it to my son?

Jimmy gets email use and will be reading your responses in case you'd like to say "Hi". He's due out around Christmas!

Thanks again, as always, in advance!!

Jim
GunHawke

"They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull a trigger. I won't!" J.B. Books

Comments

• Options
    jsergovicjsergovic Member Posts: 5,526
    edited November -1
    The M9's are not popular in Iraq. Chief complaint, 15 round mag springs not reliable.
    The source of info is USAJFKSWCS, Army Special Operations Battle Lab.
    Here's the link:
    http://www.sftt.org/article06102003a.html

For domestic use, I have not heard anything bad. I do not have one because it does not fit my hand properly. I have looked at and held a dozen Beretta models, and the double stacks and even the Type M single stack is not to my liking.

That said, if the 9000 fit him well, and you checked it out ...

Sorry, Jim, I mis-read your Dad's question. I thought you wanted it for duty use.
    The 9000S is one model I have not had the pleasure to check out. The grip looks very ergonomic, and the firearm isn't too heavy. Beretta's been making guns for centuries, and isn't it still family owned?
  • Options
    madmarc0madmarc0 Member Posts: 862 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I carry a 9000 in .40 cal and it does the job just fine for me.

I have put 1000 rounds through it without a hiccup.

It is a compact gun made for carry purpose and mine in .40 has quite a kick.

I'm glad I got mine, hey for 350.00 how can you go wrong!

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my gun has!
  • Options
    Der GebirgsjagerDer Gebirgsjager Member Posts: 1,673 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey, Jimmy--
    May God Bless You, and THANK YOU from all of us for serving. I honestly don't know anything about the Beretta 9000, but I do know that you are best protected by what you have the most confidence in. If I was there my first choice would be a 1911, Colt, Stainless,.45 Auto, and second choice would be a S&W Mod. 66 .357. I understand that (A.) you probably can't choose your pistol, and that (B.) I'm a fossil, with prehistoric ideas. But if your situation changes, consider these choices, because if you get a solid hit on someone with these weapons they stay down. (Just basing that on 44 yrs. experience using them) 9mms are so....whimpy! Just was reading something good though, about 147 gr. 9mm ammo........Stay away from anything French.[;)]
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I have no input on the Berretta here, but God bless you Jimmy...and come home safe. Thank you.

Eric