In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

do they make standard velocity 22 jacketed?

bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
edited November 2003 in Ask the Experts
hey...im rusty and away from my family and bored stiff without my daily junk mail from 100 dealers trying to sell me snake oil from THEIR store and not someone elses! but do they make jacketed 22 in standard v? i only remember jacketed in high v. and since im a target shooter mostly, i only use lead 22 standards like cci green tags. am i wrong? who makes standard jacketed? i gotta do some hunting work with jacketed bullets in an old,(real old,) pistol not rated for hi v. thanks guys.....

former air operations officer SEAL Delivery Vehicle Team 2. former navy skeet team, navy rifle/pistol team member. co-owner skeetmaster tubes inc.. owner/operator professional shooting instruction.
Retired Naval Aviation
Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
Former NSSA All American
Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
MO, CT, VA.

Comments

• Options
    gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do you mean jacketed or plated? The only time I ever heard of jacketed .22s was a mention of them at one time being used by the military. It would make sense for them to be standard velosity to reduce the sound. Can't think of any other purpose for them.
  • Options
    kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    That's a good question. I''m not aware of any, they usually plate to high-vels to help keep the bores from fouling. I am also unaware of a jacketed 22 also, could step up the penetration a bit[}:)]

Love them Beavers
    orst-title-1.gif

SUPPORT THE I.N.S. , THE COUNTRY THEY SAVE COULD BE YOUR OWN
  • Options
    I.ShuteI.Shute Member Posts: 647
    edited November -1
    Yes, the early Colt Woodsman shoots "regular velocity" ammo and some target ammo is regular or standard velocity.
    I don't know of any jacketed or plated in standard though.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    well...looks like i got more than i bargained for! hmmm, plated is all i need but it appears i brought in some very interesting answers from true pros. it would appear that true "jacketed 22" IS rare and would be a find. i'll bet its one of those that bullet collectors scramble over, like old grumman hellcat 4 gauge engine starters! (yes, i got one!) neither not really needed in todays market. but something to talk about over tea! thanks for the replies. looks like we got a interesting one going now!
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Member Posts: 5,378 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Regular 22 short, long,& long rifle ammo uses a heeled bullet. Not possible or should I say not practical to jacket such a bullet. A heeled bullet is one where the portion inside the case is smaller in diameter than the portion in front of the case. They are also lubricated on the outside.

22 Winchester rim fire, and 22 magnum use a bullet that is the same diameter as the inside of the case. They are available with jackets. There is also a couple very obsolete rounds 22 special and 22 automatic. They are pretty much just earlier variations of the 22wrf.

Maybe you are thinking plated bullets, which really aren't plated at all, it's just a gold colored lube.

Woods
  • Options
    edited November -1
    yes, plated is all i need. but, you mean to tell me that all these years all the plated 22 bullets ive seen were just painted lube? you learn something new every day! i wonder if they did that to i.d. high v 22 rounds from standards, much like they turned all 20ga shells yellow? i wonder why else theyd be bothered to paint plating on them if it serves no purpose. i load 230/RN 45 with TCJ bullets. same thing. is it to keep from touching the lead and just to keep the lead from disintigrating? i was always under the impression that TCJ rounds didnt need to be lubed. its why i like them. could this be the reasoning for jacketed 22's, to keep from jamming due to eccessive lube? thus my need. im shooting old guns with 0 tolerences and i cant allow lube to build up, but cant shoot high v's in it. yes....im shooting a 1st issue colt bulleye NM .22. how did you guys guess? thanks for the keen insight. so, back to my question.......i wonder if they make plated 22's in standard v. anyone have a mfg name? thanks in advance!
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    WesleyWesley Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Winchester Dynapoints are the only round I can think of. Chronographed at 1014 fps in a 5" pistol. Available at Kmart and some Walmarts. It's copper-washed. Good luck!
    Wesley
  • Options
    tapwatertapwater Member Posts: 10,335 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sure would like to see a pic of that 4 ga. engine starter.If I ever find two, I'll send one to juju for his collection.

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.