In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Samurai sword

SamuraiJohnSamuraiJohn Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
edited November 2003 in Ask the Experts
Any knowledge out there on an antique samurai sword, approx 100 yrs old, probabaly a little less. I believe it was made in China, not Japan. Is there any history behind this? It is damascas steel, folded, looks hand made. Any ideas on value????

"I, John Brown, am now quite certain that the crimes of this guilty land will never be purged away but with blood!"

Comments

• Options
    captkirk3@dslextreme.comcaptkirk3@dslextreme.com Member Posts: 3,804
    edited November -1
    I have a Daughter that collects Samurai Swords; There's No way You can Place a Value on a Samurai Sword Sight unseen....If you can send a Rubbing of the Tang, it would be a Start just to ascertain the Maker's Mark...That would give a Time Frame as to when it was Made and possibly who the Maker is/was....If there's No Makers Mark then the Pattern of the File Marks can lead to the discovery of the Maker...Condition is everything...Is the TSUBA Iron or Brass? Do You have the Scabbard? It really needs to be looked at by an Expert...Daughter has close to a GRAND tied up in Books on Katana's, Wakasashi's and Tanto's Makers, Apprentices and Styles from the Mid 1400's up to and encluding Currant Masters of the Arts in Making Swords....She said that if She can be of some help to just drop Me a Letter via email, and I'll Forward it to her......

Captain Kirk, Tech Staff
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    This is the best internet site to get you going.

http://home.earthlink.net/~steinrl/sites2.htm

It's owned by Mr. R. L. Stein and he would be very glad to assist.

It seems as if the vistor quota has been exceeded this month, but we shall be in a new month in a couple of days.

Try it then, you won't be disapointed.

If you are correct about it being Chinese made, don't put much in it. Hundreds have been shipped out of Hong Kong in the past year. Very little value.

A man who starts imagining that others think good because he does is simply out of his mind
    It behooves one to be wary when among strangers and not to trust too much L'Amour
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I believe the TSUBA is brass.Is iron better?

"I, John Brown, am now quite certain that the crimes of this guilty land will never be purged away but with blood!"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Iron is not better or worse. It is what it is. Some types are known to have brass (shin Gunto), some have iron (Ky Gunto) BUT, depending on who and when made, maybe not.
    Cap is right about posting pix. Most sword must have a hands on to properly evaluate. If you can just post a picture of the handle, I could tell you what period and if civilian or military to start with. (Needs to be clear and sharp)

A man who starts imagining that others think good because he does is simply out of his mind
    It behooves one to be wary when among strangers and not to trust too much L'Amour
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What would I look for in telling the difference between civilian or military ??

• Options
    edited November -1
    To tell the difference between military and civilian you would look at:

Scabbard
    Tsuba
    Tang
    Handle
    Wrap
    Same' (Rayskin vs. sharkskin)
    Menuke
    Hamon
    Signature

As you can see, this is not something cut and dried. Did you go to the reference I gave you? YOU must research your sword as you have it in your hand. Japanese swords are as individual as the maker (over 17,000 in 10 centuries).

Good luck

• Options
    edited November -1
    Yes...The reference you gave me is great.Thanks.