In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

PLEASE HELP--Law on shipping state to state

RamtinxxlRamtinxxl Member Posts: 9,480
edited October 2004 in Ask the Experts
What is the law on shipping a gun from legal owner to legal buyer across state lines? Does it have to originate and end with FFL holder? PLEASE HELP!

Comments

• Options
    hatchettmanhatchettman Member Posts: 363 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    An individual can not ship to an individual--it must be FFL to FFL, and it depends if the weapon is ok`ed to enter the state in which you want to ship it, im sure someone will have better details for you, hold on, they will respond !!!!
  • Options
    only winchestersonly winchesters Member Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ramtinxxl: Hatchettman is partly correct. You as the owner, (former owner since you just sold it) Have to ship to an FFL or C&R if the gun qualifies. It's the buyers responsibility to know what's legal in their state. This also falls on the shoulders of the FFL or C&R to whom you ship too. What generally happens if you just sold a gun here at GB the buyer has to furnish, a COPY of the dealer the gun is suppose to be shipped too. Meaning the address on the FFL or C&R is where you mail the gun too. Example if it's the Gun Shop, in Somecity, Any State. You send it to them and usually put the buyers name on the box too: "For Tom Smith" that tells the dealer who the gun is for so they can call Tom to let him know his gun has arrived. It's the dealers responsibility to do the necessary tranfer, and waiting period if applicable. Regards Dave
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    only winchesters is partly correct: It is the sellers responsibility to determine state/local firearms laws in the buyers location if the buyer has a C&R and the firearm is a C&R. This can be determined from Published Laws & Ordinances - Firearms (ATF P5300.5).

Another way to state the answer to your question is simply: A nonlicensee may transfer a firearm to a nonlicensed resident of his own state (state & local law permitting), or to an FFL (dealer) in any state.

Neal
  • Options
    RamtinxxlRamtinxxl Member Posts: 9,480
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the input, friends. I now have a "plan..." No, no, I don't mean a "Kerry plan," I mean, a plan based on good information that I can actually carry out! Thanks again! [^][8D][:D]