In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

The Ruger Rifle

muchow0123muchow0123 Member Posts: 147 ✭✭✭
edited October 2004 in Ask the Experts
I was wanting to know if a Ruger 300 win. mag is a accurate and dependable rifle. Or any Ruger at that. Any help would be appriciated

Comments

• Options
    JIM STARKJIM STARK Member Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can't..WON'T ..speak to the new mark II models,but I will give high praise to the old "tang safety" model 77's I have , and shoot 6 or 7 calibers including my long range (2-300 yd.)hunting rifle in .300 win. mag. excellent accuracy with handloads and reliable from S. Carolina in August, to the Colorado mountains in October..Scope mounting system is top notch...
  • Options
    BOBBYWINSBOBBYWINS Member Posts: 7,810
    edited November -1
    My Mark II in .270 was the most accurate rifle I've ever owned.Only reasons I let it go was that I didn't like the three-position safety and I got one * of a deal on an A-Bolt.I will have another,but it will be the old style 77 w/the tang safety.

BW

IT'S WHAT PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT THEMSELVES THAT MAKES THEM AFRAID.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,978 ******
    edited November -1
    THE OLDER M-77'S (AND #1'S) WERE A CRAP SHOOT AS FAR AS ACCURACY, SOME SHOT GOOD MOST SO-SO (RUGER DIDN'T USE THE BEST BARRELS BACK THEN). THE NEW MK-2'S ARE MUCH BETTER (AT LEAST I HAVEN'T HEARD OF A BAD ONE YET).
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member Posts: 4,911
    edited November -1
    The older one's with the tang safty seem to be better than the new ones, Have talked to a lot of people that said that the new one's shoot good one day and not the next. and I have seen that. I have heard that Ruger is making their own barrel's now, so they may be better, I would choose one over any winchester. OK Winchester people flame away, It wont change my mind.[:0]
  • Options
    D@DD@D Member Posts: 4,407
    edited November -1
    If you want a rifle that is accurate and can depend on the rest of your life, only one choice Remington.[;)]

I don't approve of political jokes. I've seen too many of them get elected.
  • Options
    deadeye46deadeye46 Member Posts: 553 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like my ss Ruger 77's.All most of them need is a trigger job to lighten the pull and they make fine rifles.Unlike some other folks,I do like the three position safety.All my Rugers shoot fine although I reload almost everything I shoot.Just my .02,Bob.PS. the 300 Win Mag has some noticable recoil,good luck.
  • Options
    b00merb00mer Member Posts: 975 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have an older model tang safety 77 flat top, 30-06, shoots 1/2" at 100 yrds all day long, have kevlar over molded camo stock, luepold varix 3 scope and I LIKE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its really hard to soar with the Eagles, when you are stuck with turkeys!
  • Options
    crockettecrockette Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    From my 40 years experience AS A GUN BUILDER/ GUNSMITH ONLY some Rugers are accurate, most Remingtons are accurate, ALL SAKOS ARE ACCURATE! IF YOU ARE SHOOTING OVER 100 YARDS, GO WITH THE BEST.

845-383-3655
  • Options
    1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with alot of what I've read so far, and would put special emphasis onthe option of an aftermarket trigger. I REALLY liked the older 77's as you didn't have to buy a Timney, but still feel it is a crapshoot on what factor you weigh more...newer better barrels, or older, better safety and trigger! I feel that if you get a new one and spend the money on a good trigger, you'll be a happy camper. Also, I feel that if you buy a new Savage with acutrigger you'll be even happier and a few dollars richer too!

As far as that Winchester crack goes...I've got an old '64 model 70 that I'll put up against about any factory rifle you would care to bring to the table! And this from a non-Winchester fan! That rifle shoots (a 225 Winchester heavy barreled Varmint gun) better than any gun I've ever owned and thus far with limited load developement, will turn in consistant groups at 100 yds. of under a half inch and has produced a couple quarter inch, 3 shot groups! Most of the "big" gun companies will turn out the occasional phenom of a gun...even the blind hog finds the Acorn eventually! I think the "My brand is the best" set has sorta' missed the point! What really matters is their ability to produce accurate guns consistantly!

"When I cease learning...I'm dead"(Me)
    "Power corrupts...Absolute power corrupts absolutely"(Descartes?)
    "History is written by winners"(Patton)
    "You get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than you do with a kind word alone!"(Al Capone)
    "There is nothing lower than the human race...except the French" (Samuel Clemens)
  • Options
    TWalkerTWalker Member Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I only own one Ruger centerfire bolt gun and it's a used All-Weather M77 MKII in .338 Magnum. I bought it simply because I got a good deal. Turns out it's a great shooter and it's the one I'll hunt with next month. I love my Winchesters and Remingtons and my Tikka, but this Ruger is one tough rifle I won't have to baby when the going gets rough and the freezing rain's falling. I can leave it in the truck overnight for two weeks and clean it when I get home.

"Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away." Thoreau
  • Options
    TWalkerTWalker Member Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I only own one Ruger centerfire bolt gun and it's a used All-Weather M77 MKII in .338 Magnum. I bought it simply because I got a good deal. Turns out it's a great shooter and it's the one I'll hunt with next month. I love my Winchesters and Remingtons and my Tikka, but this Ruger is one tough rifle I won't have to baby when the going gets rough and the freezing rain's falling. I can leave it in the truck overnight for two weeks and clean it when I get home.

"Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away." Thoreau