In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

308 on a long action???

ker2222ker2222 Member Posts: 188 ✭✭✭
edited October 2004 in Ask the Experts
I am considering my first "build" of a rifle. I have a remington 700 in 30-06 that I would like to dismantle and build into a long range precision rifle. However, I would like to shoot 308 out of it. Is it possible to build a 308 rifle out of a long action reciever. If not, or if its not advisable, what is the lightest recoiling long action caliber???
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    MattyTibbsMattyTibbs Member Posts: 148 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ker, to my knowledge, I would think it couldn't be possible, you'd have to cut the reciever, and make bolt modifications. Lighest Recoiling long action rifle.. How about a 25-06, not much modding there, you already have the action and reciever made out for a 06 cartridge, and all you'd have to do is find a 25 caliber barrel that'd fit it. 25-06 is pretty accurate and long range, the recoil isn't that bad.

dwlu8
    dwlt4

It's not war untill someone breaks out the .50 calibers.
  • Options
    ogreeogree Member Posts: 127 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ker2222,

There is no problem with barreling a long remington action in the shorter .308 cartridge, most people build 308's on short actions because the bolt travel is shorter.
    If you already have the action and don't mind the distance the bolt travels, then you are in business.
    You may have to manufacture a block (spacer) for inside of the magazine to take up the dead space not occupied by the shorter cartridge as well as buying a short action follower and follower spring.
    I have had to modify long actions like this several times because the customer wanted to use their existing receiver and did not want to buy a new one.
    Hope this helps you out.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Keith,

Contrary to the above post, you do not have to 'cut the receiver and modify the bolt' to get the 700 LA to shoot the .308 Win. If that was what had to be done then the proper answer would be to trade the Long Action for a Short Action. And if you really want to shoot the .308 Win. then that's what you will want to do.

The 25-06 Rem. is a fine cartridge for a LA but bullets for precision long range shooting are sorely lacking unfortunately. Jef Fowler makes the best ones since Clint Starke quit making his line of bullets.

http://www.benchrest.com/fowler/price_list.html

But my question would be "Why abandon the 30-06 when you have a long action set up for this style of brass?" I would have the action/bolt trued and lapped then have a top notch barrel maker put on a barrel and then decide which chamber to use. You can give consideration to the standard '06, or improve the shoulder slightly to 28 or 30 degrees or go all the way to the Ackley Improved shoulder of 40 degrees. The AI will also increase the case capacity. Some folks are working with the 30 Gibbs which has a 35 degree shoulder that is moved forward to create a shorter neck and still more case capacity. Some of the long range shooters are using variations of the '06 for 1000 yard target shooting.

You've already experienced the recoil from your '06 and going with another chamber with slightly more capacity will increase the recoil slightly. The biggest change in recoil will occur if you choose to shoot heavier VLD bullets for accuracy at longer ranges. But I would opt for a new stock to help with the recoil through design and weight.

Keep the long action and create a new rifle or sell the long action and get a short action in .308 Win. set up for accuracy.

Best of luck!