In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Large rifle or large pistol primers ???

375H&H375H&H Member Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2004 in Ask the Experts
500 S&W Cor-Bon brass takes Large pistol or large rifle primer [B)]???
I have some Star Line with the "R" on them to take Large Rifle primers and I have some new factory Hornady brass and was told they take Large pistol primers [:0], but I'm not sure what to put in the cor-bon brass [:o)][:o)][:o)]???

Comments

• Options
    haroldchrismeyerharoldchrismeyer Member Posts: 2,213
    edited November -1
    What does the reloading data say?? That is usually the best way to determine the type of primer.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,982 ******
    edited November -1
    THE 'R' CASES TAKE RIFLE PRIMERS LIKE YOU STATED, THE HORNADY MIGH TAKE EITHER, TRY A RIFLE PRIMER FIRST. IF IT WILL NOT SEAT FLUSH WITH THE BASE GO WITH L.P.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello Mike W is right The primer pocket is deeper on a rifle case then a pistol case.If you seat a pistol primer flush in a rifle case when the fireing pin hits it it will move forward and may misfire"not good" if you seat a pistol primer to the bottom of the rifle primer pocket then the fireing pin might not be able to reach it and if it does fire the primer will jump back to the breach face "not good " and if you try to seat a rifle primer in a pistol case it will not be flush and this could give you a slam fire"realy not good" quote:"PRAISE THE HARD BALL GUN"
  • Options
    agloreaglore Member Posts: 6,012
    edited November -1
    Hornady Brass takes the Large Pistol Primer. Starline used to make brass for the pistol primer(the stuff I use) but now they only make rifle primer brass and it is marked with an "R".

AlleninAlaska
    Delta Firearms & Supplies
    http://www.galleryofguns.com

aglore@gci.net
  • Options
    dg101windg101win Member Posts: 751 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Recent article by Dick Metcalf on the 500 S&W. States that Starline brass and manufacturers using Starline-manufactured brass now has R marked on the brass to signify Large Rifle primers.This change took place July 28 2003 after S&W had further consultations with additional component and propellant manufacturers.This was since S&W raised the SAAMI specs from 50,000psi to 60,000psi.He further states that the safest and simplest procedure barring micrometer measuring of primer pockets is to use Large Rifle ONLY in "R" marked cases and to use Large Pistol in all others without the "R" designation.
    Hornady has and is continuing to use Large Pistol primers.Their load is in the 48,000 psi range.
  • Options
    ATFATF Member Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it's not marked with an "R" you use pistol primers only. [:)]

Eagle_Guns.gif
    standard.jpg
    standard.jpg
    When a worm wants to relax,does he go fishing?  ATF,Eagle Guns
  • Options
    375H&H375H&H Member Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd like to thank ya kindly for all the info [:)]