In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Marlin 336 Question(s)

Texas HunterTexas Hunter Member Posts: 484 ✭✭✭
edited October 2004 in Ask the Experts
I have been thinking of buying a used 336 but would like some answers from those of you in the know on this rifle.
1.I noticed looking at the auction site some are called a model 336RC.
The value book i own does not show this model(time for another book).
So what is this particular model?
2.What calibers beyond 30-30 did this rifle come in?
3.Are the triggers adjustable and if not are there after market triggers for these rifles?
4.Are there known problems with these rifles as far as reliability?
5.How do they rate against their competetion from Winchester?
6.Are certain year models better to buy than others because of manufacturing short cuts?
7.How do i find the year of manufacture for these rifles?

I know this is a lot of questions but i am sure i will get the answers from you guys.
And before i start bidding i would like to know about these things.

mike

Comments

• Options
    gskyhawkgskyhawk Member Posts: 4,773
    edited November -1
    336RC the rc stands for Regular Carbine , it was introduced in 1948 chamber in 30-30 and 32sp. it was a update of the older model 36 and was the 1st 336 , been many different varitions since them ,

triggers can be worked on by a good gunsmith but usually those older ones don't need it

just keep the screws tight and the gun clean

better than a Wichester but thats just me really its a toss up between the 2
    older model are consider to bew of higher quality but there was not a major production change in the marlins like in the Winchesters

check with marlin for date of Mfg
  • Options
    Iroquois ScoutIroquois Scout Member Posts: 930 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Marlin Model 336 went into production in 1948 as an improvement of the Model 1936. The most noteable change was in the bolt, which was changed from a square shape to a round shape. At first the Model 336 was offered only in calibers .30-30 W.C.F. and .32 Winchester Special, but, in 1953 the .35 Remington was added. In 1956 the top of the receiver was factory drilled and tapped for scope mounting and the rifleing was changed to the Micro-Groove type. There have been several small changes in the internal parts such as the cartridge carrier, the trigger and the new rifles have the pushbutton safety.
    IMO, the best of the Model 336 is the 336A which was made in the 1950's through the mid '60's. These rifles seem to have better fit and finish, are drilled and tapped for scope mounting and have 24 inch barrels which gives the rifle better balance and performance then the short barrels available today. Also, I would pick the .35 Remington over either the .30-30 W.C.F. or the .32Spl. as it will out perform either of the older cartridges.
    Hope that this is of some help to you.
    Scout
  • Options
    Texas HunterTexas Hunter Member Posts: 484 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Very helpful guys.
    Someone told me that they had a model 336ER which was also offered in .308.
    Any truth to that??
    Again that book i have mentions nothing of an ER model.
    Hard to believe that the .308 isnt offered in todays models.

mike
  • Options
    Iroquois ScoutIroquois Scout Member Posts: 930 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In 1983 Marlin brought out the Model 336ER (Extra Range) in both .307 and .356 Winchester. However, the .307 never got out of the development stage and was never released for sale. The .356 met only lukewarm interest and the 336ER was dropped from production in 1986.
    The reason that the .308 Winchester is not chambered in the Marlin 336 or the Winchester 94 is that the .308 produces to much pressure for this type of action.
  • Options
    gskyhawkgskyhawk Member Posts: 4,773
    edited November -1
    the 336 Er Extra Range was going to be made in 307 Winchester and 356 Winchester . the 307 was never made and only 2,441 where made in 356 , production ran from 1983 into 1986 , rifle had a 20" barrel and 5 shot cap.
  • Options
    gotstolefromgotstolefrom Member Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am partial to the Marlins, but I have owned both. The Winchesters were in 44Mag and 30-30. I like a 'pistol grip' stock, the Win's were straight stock so I traded them. The 44Mag and 30-30 both perform about the same at 100 yds in my 336's. I am looking for a second hand 'guide gun' in 45-70 but I don't know why.
    ( ya'ever get that feeling...kinda like a itch.)

I have not seen anyone get a significant increase in punch by reloading the 30-30...but I do it to get the 'sweet loads' that print well in my 336's. You may find that to be different in the other calibers.

The calibers available now make it more versatile, but a 30-30 is a basic staple in anyones collection.
  • Options
    toddwilson_@excite.comtoddwilson_@excite.com Member Posts: 389 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Marlin 336 in .35 remington and it will more than do the job on deer size game out to about 200 yards with no problems whatsoever. I would suggest at that range to use a fixed power scope 4x or so. Open sights at that range are a little tough for me.